What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.75 MK1 MOD2 odd green

Lou

I keep saying to myself over and over,Lou, quit buying and trading for stuff you dont collect!!!! Focus Lou,focus,,,, you dont need it. But then something gets the better of me and blam,here I am.
Question for the experts??? Why the odd color green??
2.75MK1MOD2 001.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 002.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 003.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 004.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 008.jpg

Not sure what it signifies, but I've seen it before and its on a couple of my pieces, mostly on Navy stuff.

Now that I think about it,,I seem to remember reading somewhere that color green was a better protection from corrosion???

Could this possibly of had a red stripe near the nose too?

If it was a White Phosphorus smoke round, it would have been a light seafoam green with light red marking and a yellow band, but that is a different shade than your example. They did make a WP warhead in the shape you have, used by the forward air controllers to mark tagets for close air support and fighter bomber sorties.

Interesting. Well this one definently has remnents of a red stripe near the fuze opening. I'll get a shot of it tomorro. And I'll look closer,witha loupe,and see if I can spot any yellow. Thanks John.

Lou, one explanation for your red ring, would be that there is a red primer underneath the green. The warhead could have been shipped in a cardboard tube, and the warhead rubbed the cardboard in a ring shape, wearing away the green in that area. just a thought.

Here are a couple shots of the red in question. Red in the low and protected spots like the machining grooves and fuze lip,and on the shipping/load plug.But no red eveident anywhere else.And any green thats worn through is is worn to metal. What are your thoughts John??

2.75MK1MOD2 009.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 010.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 012.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 015.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 013.jpg2.75MK1MOD2 014.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
Lou,

First of all, that shade of red isn't used for any Military ammunition color code in the U.S.. My guess, is that you have a "project" warhead, something that an individual performed some painting on. They stood the warhead up, and hit it with red from a spray can, getting it all over the mouth of the fuzewell. Then, they covered that with the shade of green that you have that also doesn't match any official color code. When you look closely at the ogive, you can see the red under the green.

As Jeff said, it is characteristic of older Navy stuff. The 6-1/2 Lb. warhead was used from the 50's through early 70's, but they mostly used the 10 and 17 Lb. warheads to put more steel and HE on target. The Navy ad Marine Corps sometimes come up with odd colors outside the standard color code, kind of like your older 2.75 motor that is gray. I have 5" Zuni rocket motors in white, gray, and OD green.

John

Last edited:
Thanks John,that helps clear it up. And helps me make the choice of which motor to mount it on. This will look great on that grey motor.

Wonder if they ever made an OD green 2.75 motor??

Hi ,
I've got 2.75" motors in brown and white ,and have seen some in a similar shade of green to your projectile!

Cheers
Bob

Nice Bob,,,
I wonder if that might another explanation for this warhead?? US but painted by another country??

I'm pretty certain that it was painted by the US. As mentioned, I've seen it on other items, always Navy, sometimes as a complete paint job, other times only on parts of munitions. In each case however, the items were US only, not something built by or shared with other countries.

The paint color looks like the old Zinc Chromate that we used to use until it became environmentally un-acceptable. Yes, The navy does do weird paint jobs. I've seen a full up MK 84 2000lb LDGP HE that was factory painted with a practice BLUE primer (could see it in the fuze wells), with a light grey finish then with the yellow band around the nose. Saw them loading one on an F14 on the centerline (hilarious evolution) and later found examples in the dessert to destroy. Even on the surface they leave a HUGE crater. Cheers, Bruce.

Lou,

I believe I have an answer to your question. I was kicking around the place tonight and came across a 6-1/2 Lb. warhead the same design as yours. it is mostly blue on the outside, but on all the areas where the blue is gone, is the zinc chromate primer the same color as your warhead. When I look closely at your warhead, is looks like there are still a few little spots of blue. So two possibilities, the blue got removed from your warhead, or it got primered, but the paint gun was out of blue so it went on down the conveyor and got its white lettering. My copyy doesn't have any red around the mouth though.

John,

As for the blue spots you see on this warhead?? Some of that is from the camera flash,gives the grey primer a blueish hue,,, and there is one little spot that has blue paint but thats from comming into contact with a blue painted practice warhead,that the seller also had. Fortunatly,or un,depending on who you are,I have the advantage of having the thing right here infront of me,in hand. And looking at the other 6 1/2lb warheads I have,the explanations you have provided could all be true. Blue with red lead as the primer,OD green with zinc chromate and grey primer,blue with grey primer etc etc etc,,,,, Then theres the evidence of other people having seen similar colors before,on warheads and motors,so for now,Im gonna file it in the ""unknown"" catagory. Cool??

Would be cool if anyone can show thier 2.75in 6 1/2lb warheads????6.5lbwarhead 002.jpg

Last edited: