What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Inch Mortar Bomb Color Change in WW2

Houndsworth

Premium Member
I have heard the WW2 2-inch mortar para illuminating bombs were brightly finished early, and then were black or dark gray. Was that paint or oxide and when did the change occur? I have see photos of what looks like gray with black markings. I have a black one, looks like paint, original-looking with some rust. Markings are yellow and look like ink stamps. 4/43 date. Maker E.S. & T.P. in a rectangle. Aluminum tail says Z FD Ltd 1942 - 3. Red paint on the back side of that fin. The FD marked tail cap is 41 dated, I think July.

I want to confirm if these could have been black in early 1943? Who is the manufacturer?

Last edited:
FD Ltd is Fry's Die Castings Ltd, Manchester in UK. No idea on the E.S.& TP.
I have a similar brown with yellow print dated 6/43.
My silvery finished are Australian 9/45 and my white Australian is 9/56 dated.
My black finished I cannot read the date due to worn print. I hope this helps you.
My guess is black then brown then silvery and finally white paint finish?
Type in 2"Illumination mortars on this forum to see my article.

Hi, Im sure there are members who can probably add information/corrections from list of changes and suchlike but I will add pictures of rounds in my collection. There is another variant which has ILLG WITH PARACHUTE in a rectangle which I still need.
From this you can see that as far as the Mk1 rounds are concerned they were manufactured in both tinned (silver) and black finish at the same time.
Not sure of your manufacturer but its confusing as the parts were made by different companies and they were filled by others.
As makers of bodies I can only add S and W. As fillers WF Ltd And WFS which are the same I think, Wilders fireworks( The most common filler) and SF which is Standard fireworks Huddersfield.
The two tinned rounds are 1942 and 1944. The two black rounds are both 1943. The Mk2 body is 1945 dated and differs in the rear casting and fins and is the hardest to find of all. As for fins Fries were by far the biggest suppliers and also made the rear castings. I have fins by around 6 or 7 makers. Can add pics etc of these later if required.
Cheers Tig.

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_125942.jpg
    IMG_20240306_125942.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240306_130224.jpg
    IMG_20240306_130224.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240306_130239.jpg
    IMG_20240306_130239.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
Thanks ron3350 and tigbrand. Interesting lack of uniformity back in the day! I'll show some pics of mine. Under the maker and date, is that a letter I with parachute symbol over it, stamped upside down relative to the other markings?2 inch bomb marking.jpg2 inch illum.jpgBomb fins.jpgend cap illum mortar.jpg
There is a lot of surface rust obiterating some of the ILLUM text.

I think I will restore this, black with yellow, if that is OK for mid-war as it appears to be in this case. My display is more about telling a story than being a museum.

Para illum on the later mk2 models pre WW2 had the yellow markings in a yellow square black body. Mk1 models were having problems with blinds especially in tropical areas ie far east hence the Mk 2 with two smaller flash holes. 44-45 came the change maybe 43.

Chris I thought the Para illum in rectangle was MkI then found a pic of one. Mk2 is found in 2 versions then the one above and the attached. Cheers Tig

Attachments

• MVC-648S.JPG
    MVC-648S.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 13