What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" mortar relic cutaway.

navyman

Hello,
I can't remember if I've posted the beginings of this project before but now it's done I thought I'd post it anyway. This was a solid, badly corroded, inert, fired remains of a 2" HE mortar fin. I found it interesting as it shows that inertia on impact has driven the propellant charge forward despite the fact that the HE charge has clearly detonated correctly. I discovered this when I started to section it. Can anyone tell me if this assumption is correct?
The corrosion on the fins was cleaned and stabilised with button polish, rest painted.
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• 2 inch mortar fin section. Befor rest.jpg
    2 inch mortar fin section. Befor rest.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Section 2 inch 1a.jpg
    Section 2 inch 1a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 86
  • Section 2 inch 2a.jpg
    Section 2 inch 2a.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 55
2" mortar section.

Tom,
Here is a pic with a used cartridge for comparison as I mentioned in the last PM. Could it be that the intact cartridge was used in a star or parachute flare which I would imagine was much lighter than the HE's?
Cheers,
Guy.

Attachments

• 2 inch section and complete cartridge 1a.jpg
    2 inch section and complete cartridge 1a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 53