What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" mortar shell colors...

clancey2651

For the British 2" mortar illumination and smoke rounds, what was the basic color for each body?

I have been told that the Canadian rounds were generally a dark olive green with usually black markings.

What colors did the British use on these mortar rounds? Where would I be able to find color photos of these rounds?

The Para illumination rounds are white, black lettering, with red band, smoke is light green with red band and bursting smoke is dark green with red band and white mid way band. I believe that the lettering on the smokes are black but I don't have any smoke rounds. If you take a look at my small collections picture album in my profile, there are a few on there mate.
Cheers

All colours for British military rounds come under the BS381C colours coding. 2" mortar smoke colours changed over the years from light brunswick green 'BS381C 225' and then after the war to sea green 'BS381C 217' and then in the early sixties to eau dil nil 'BS381C 216'. War time smoke had a signal red ring painted around the top about an inch below with black writing usualy roll stamped than stenciled. the later smoke had a brown band with brown writing. WP smoke rounds were light brunswick green again with red band around top with white band around middle, markings in black. As for the signal rounds the bodies were in a silver tinned finish with black writing and band colour to match colour of signal. Para rounds ww2 were black i belive with white or yellow wording. White bodied para rounds came later.

Last edited:
Great bit of info there BMG50.
Clancy2651, there are quite a few threads on Brit 2" mortars on here that you may find useful, just stick it in the search box. There are also many great photos of good examples too.
Good luck

I found quite a bit on markings for the rounds, but was having problems in finding anything that actually cited the base color they were painted. This helps a lot. I am trying to restore a couple of rounds to WW2 configuration for our WW2 historical display.

Thanks to all for the information.