What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2-Pdr Davis case

ydnum303

Hi all,

Can anyone show me a picture of what the primer should look like in the above case, please? I have recently acquired a case (a bit "trench-arted", unfortunately), but where the primer should be is just a hole!

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

The Davis guns were recoilless weapons, so the primer hole goes transverse through the case wall about halfway from the case mouth to the base of the case. The base is open for the backblast to exit, like an 84mm Carl Gustav.

The primer hole is just about 1/8" diameter with a built-up area around it.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Can anyone show me a picture of what the primer should look like in the above case, please? I have recently acquired a case (a bit "trench-arted", unfortunately), but where the primer should be is just a hole!

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

Very lucky indeed Roger, they are very scarce.
See attached link.
It shows 6 pounder Davies rounds and also if you scroll down Hazords photo of a 2 pounder Davies case.
Dave.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/57-x-390-t46568.html?t=46568&highlight=davies

2pr Davis

Apologies for the picture quality, but hopefully of some use Dave.

Attachments

• dg2.jpg
    dg2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 87
  • dg2 1.jpg
    dg2 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 76
  • dg2 2.jpg
    dg2 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 69
Thanks

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the info; I had seen the earlier thread about the 6-pdrs, and in view of the 2 different types of primer shown I wondered if the 2-pdr also had more than one type of primer fitted. A closer look at mine shows traces of deformed threads within the hole, so was obviously a "screw-in" type rather than a press fit. Something else to keep a lookout for; I am sure there must be loads of them just lying about out there somewhere...

Roger.

Davis

This may help Roger, but it is a bit difficult to read.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Davis2.jpg
    Davis2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 66
Drawing

I will see if I can get a better print for you when I am back home in the UK Roger.

Regards
TonyE

TonyE

Yes, if you can get one with less blurred print, especially in the top half, that would be great! Parts of it I can just decipher, other parts are just slightly too indistinct.

The case I have still has one of the wooden discs in; very tight fit. I had thought it must be a fired case, but now wonder if it was unfired, and the "trench-arter" dismantled it before getting to work on it. If so, wish he had re-inserted the original proj rather than replacing it with a wooden one!

Regards,

Roger.