What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2-Pdr headstamp

ydnum303

2pdr No.4 hs.jpgAttached is a sketch of the headstamp on a 2-Pounder case I recently acquired. It has, alas, been cut down to a length of 138mm (as opposed to its original length of 158mm). As can be seen, the "1" has been overstruck with a "4", and a "1" has been added at the end (either to say it is now a Mk.1, or a Mk.3; which, I don't know). There is also an added "6 . 44" - at least, I think the last digit is a 4 - at the 5 o'clock position.

Can anyone tell me why this has been overstamped in this fashion, please?

There have been posts/threads on here showing the 2-Pdr anti-tank "Littlejohn" rounds, some of which have been overstamped with a "5". Has anyone seen a case overstamped with a "3", or know if they exist, and why? Any other 2-Pdr overstampings?

My case has a very slight coning at the mouth; either the start of a ring crimp, or to go over a wad. Could this have been a blank??

Perhaps our experts can help. Bonnex?? Tigbrand?? 2Pounder?? I look forward to some replies!

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

Hi Roger,im no expert for sure,but have a blank case dated 45,it has the mouth crimped as per small arms blanks,cant find Hangarmans post of it?? I think yours is correct though,but think it might be a clearing case. BP is Bull Point I believe who didnt make cases but definitely modified them,and filled and assembled rounds too. I have a 45 dated Bofors L60 clearing case which has the very top removed as per yours. As for the overstamping,never seen owt like it before. Thats my 50 cents worth! Cheers Tony. ps post some pics please!

Many thanks Tony.

Have tried photograph to start with, but apart from the overstamps, the stamps are very light and do not photograph well. Then tried scanning, but head has fine, close, turning marks which caused the scanner to produce a distorted image, with almost an "interference" effect. So did the drawing out of necessity to get a neat, clear image.

As for the mouth coning, it is just discernible, but I do not know if it could be clearly seen on a scan or photo.

Regards,

Roger.

Hi Roger The trick we would use to read case faint case makings try rubbing some colored or white chalk hope this info helps

Regards,

Steve

In my collection is a 2 pr case by the same maker and has the same 6.44 marking lot 157, N, 1942 and it also reads 9,5 IN DCT faint (depht charge thrower) but case length is 125mm.

Last edited:
More info,thats great Michel, perhaps different length = different charge increments? as these are common in 158mm case length.good stuff,Tig.

That's what I thought different charge or a chamber that takes different length, but maybe mine has been cut short because there is no crimp or coning at the mouth. The normal 158mm I see/have more of them.
I also have the coned 2 pounder 40 x 70R also DCT these seem to be more plenty full.