What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr headstamp

ken68

Hi can anyone help with the headstamp , and why it has so many , also you can just see stencils on the case . 40 x 107r I have used Silvo to make all the stamps stand out . really looking for as much information as possible,

R N 2 3 3 8
I.W.5.26
Thanks Ken

Attachments

• 1 PDR POM POM 002.jpg
    1 PDR POM POM 002.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 1 PDR POM POM 004.jpg
    1 PDR POM POM 004.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 1 PDR POM POM 005.jpg
    1 PDR POM POM 005.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 48
  • 1 PDR POM POM 006.jpg
    1 PDR POM POM 006.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1 PDR POM POM 007.jpg
    1 PDR POM POM 007.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 45
Started life as a 2 pounder mark 1, than cut down to become sub caliber (training) round for the 4 and 4,7 inch guns. This is the High Angle H.A. Version there is also a L.A. Low angle type. H.A. I think was for anti aircraft training?
CF cordite filled F F fired 3 times
RL Royal Laboratories
N Navy
broadarrows and inspection marks.
Firing cap RL March 1923 and the stamp on the side last time filled Mai 1923.

This has been covered in another thread someplace with I think help from Bonnex. But the casing was likely standard from ww1 , then reloaded for a High Angle Sub Calibre gun, this was if I recall a larger calibre gun and this was used for practice firing A.A. - But others will know much more than I do. I have a similar situation with two cut 3pr cases I picked up today - slim pickings at that !

Ah - the excellent post before this answered the question, how did I miss that !

Last edited:
The case was made by the Gramophone Company.
Although there are three 'F's, two have been barred out, indicating the round has been broken down twice and not fired.

TimG

Last edited: