What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr No1 II 1943 S&S

ken68

Hi I picked up four 2pdr's Cases no primers I wont complain as these were a bargain !! ( 40 x 158r ) No1 II 1943 (S&S =(Sydney Silversmiths) ,(DeakinS&Sons) ... my Question is there a way to tell if these are Army or Navy AA . or AT ???? thanks Ken

Attachments

• 2pdr's 001.jpg
    2pdr's 001.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2pdr's 002.jpg
    2pdr's 002.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2pdr's 005.jpg
    2pdr's 005.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 2pdr's 006.jpg
    2pdr's 006.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2pdr's 007.jpg
    2pdr's 007.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2pdr's 011.jpg
    2pdr's 011.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 29
  • sssss.jpg
    sssss.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hello Ken, I think normally on british headstamp there would be a N denoting navy use. Australian cases I don't know.

Hello Ken, I think normally on british headstamp there would be a N denoting navy use. Australian cases I don't know.

Yes all of my Naval kit does have an N . The fact these are british and missing N . Cant help think of Army issue . I am sure someone will have the same cases marked No1 II .
Cheers

Curious as in theory the Army gave up using the 2pr in AA role before WWII certainly by 1943 the Bofors should have replaced it. This case was also used for the 40mm Aircraft gun but I believe these were all ex Navy cases. Yours are different lot numbers and it would seem unlikely they were not Naval but all the same maker! is that a clue? were they not passed as OK for the navy and put aside or scrapped and surfaced on the market later?

That's a really good answer and would make sense lack of headstamp markings forgot to mention :tinysmile_eyebrow_t one had a blank copper disc that covered the primer ????? never really thought much of that for storage ?? Thanks
Curious as in theory the Army gave up using the 2pr in AA role before WWII certainly by 1943 the Bofors should have replaced it. This case was also used for the 40mm Aircraft gun but I believe these were all ex Navy cases. Yours are different lot numbers and it would seem unlikely they were not Naval but all the same maker! is that a clue? were they not passed as OK for the navy and put aside or scrapped and surfaced on the market later?

Attachments

• restore 004.jpg
    restore 004.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 29
Hello Ken, just a disk or a threathed stop thing? Pic of a regular primer protecter. Interesting case you have.
5ac533f9cb92b5a8337ea1891c82b05e_zps76fa17ac.jpg

Found this link on ebay same maker etc and little disc .ive just checked the box they came in and theres another 3 discs ??
Thanks for the picture nice one . On the discription same maker and year but turned into a vase .
Any ideas how easy it is to get an Inert projectile for these . I guess pricey ????

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=370878075530#

Last edited:
Ken, I'm not into the projectiles but I think it should not be to much of a problem to get one. On this side of the northsea the law forbids the possession of projectiles but I think I have seen them at collectors trade shows (with the right papers).
Maybe someone on the forum has one spare.

Ken, I'm not into the projectiles but I think it should not be to much of a problem to get one. On this side of the northsea the law forbids the possession of projectiles but I think I have seen them at collectors trade shows (with the right papers).
Maybe someone on the forum has one spare.
Done a google search on a UK auction site to get a feel for price . Prac ones go for around 25 then you step up to the HE AA depending on fuzes 60 to 105 with the cases . Maybe need to hold off as theres a couple of things got my eye on for xmas unless someone has a prac one
Cheers ken

Ken,

These would appear to be from an order of 50,000 (contract 6/R 3731) from Deakins Silversmiths. Order placed in January '43. It would appear production started around June '43. Initial cost 4/1 a case, rising to 4s 4d a case.

TimG

On this side of the northsea the law forbids the possession of projectiles but I think I have seen them at collectors trade shows (with the right papers).

I didn't know that, there were a lot of large calibre projectiles for sale at the Dutch ECRA show. I assumed that these were legal to own in the Netherlands as long as they were inert.

When you say "the right papers" does that mean you need paperwork for each projectile?

Hello Falcon, at the ecra show yes you can get it all, but only with the right permit. Casings yes projectiles and almost everything else no. And the law is very strikt about this. Good show? I was not able to attend. You have to be a nvbmb (ecra) member to get the permit and it is reviewed & renewed by police Yearly.

Last edited: