What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pouder round identification required.

cherryturbox

Hi, I picked these rounds up at Beltring this year with a view to machining them down to look like standard 2 pdr anti tank heads (I have photographed a standard anti tank head next to them for comparision). The copper bands have been removed by the scrap man. Can anyone tell me what they are ?, would they be navel pom pom or some kind of anti tank head?

They are marked as follows : VI/N 2PDR V. BSP. T&S 3/44 LOT 36.

TZ. VIN. 2PDR HV. BSP. T&S. 6/42 LOT 10.

They have no screw hole in the base and appear solid.

Thanks Kevin.

Attachments

• 2pdr 004.jpg
    2pdr 004.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 56
  • 2pdr 005.jpg
    2pdr 005.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 105
You should be able to tell by their size and weight that they are not solid steel. If you look carefully about 30mm from the tip there is a joint line that has been machined over. They are probably filled with a pitch like substance.

Hi Kev,
Don't machine them as 2 pounder has pointed out they are a two part construction with a inert filling and if you tried to machine them you would just remove the top section skank up your machinery and destroy an otherwise nice pair of practice projectiles albeit minus their driving bands.
Best Weasel.

There was other type of 2pdr practice that had a flat top? (had several at one stage)

Were these the same but minus the "ballistic" cap?

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Hi, Thanks for all the input guys.

I did e-mail a guy who owns a 2 pounder anti tank gun and he told me this :
They are 2 pdr pompom rounds. Used on ships.( QF and AA ). I have recently found out that they have a crush high explosive filling and explode when round smashes into target. Designed to go through lightly armoured items like ships fuel tanks etc. Also a similar round for Bofor gun. It might be a good idea to check on this!!, x-ray or something before machining them.

Whats your opinion guys?. Would they have been fitted to the longer 2 pdr anti tank round as a practice round?, if so i can just fit tthem and use them as that.

regards kevin.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,as already mentioned these are for the Naval 2pdr pom pom. Your design comes in two types,solid with no tracer,and hollow with a screw on cap with no tracer. The info from the chap with the A/T gun is wrong(dangerously!). Practice shot for the ww2 A/T gun were AP/P, simliar in shape and ranging to A/P and flat head practice,Both used a trace. Post ww2 a naval design of practice projectile was used with the gun,this was the other type from yours,which was hollow with a less pointed nose. The ones ive seen had an SX designation. Why go to all the trouble to modify yours,they are not correct. I might have a spare fired Ap if you want a swap.Pm if interested.Tig