What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pounder AP and APCBC Shot markings

Falcon

I acquired a 2 Pounder AP and APCBC projectile.

The AP is stamped:

A.P. 2PR V IIT.
RPCo 38 6/42

There is a space between the "V" and "II", is this supposed to read as "VII" or 5 and 2? Who was RPCo?

The APCBC is stamped:

AP CBC
2PR 1XBT
E JMB H4/43

I know the manufacturer of this one as it is the same as the 6Pr. What do the "E" before JMB and the "H" before 4/43 mean? Quatermass has one of these projectiles as well according to his thread where he asked about the "XBT". It would aldo be interesting if anyone knows what that means.

Both of these shot also have the five digit number painted on underneath the lot number, which is in a red circle. Id the meaning of the 5 digit number known?

Thanks for any info.

I can't help with all your questions but i'll answer what i can.
The AP shot is a Mark 7 tracer.
The APCBC is Mark 9 (I still don't know what the 'B' referrs too) tracer.
A red stenciled number in a ring is the lot number.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure how to read the "V II" because there was a space in the lettering.

The "1X" marking was also confusing as it uses a conventional number 1 and an X rather than "IX".

Thinking back, I seem to remember a reference to the "B" meaning that the shot was machined from bar stock instead of a forging.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. TimG pointed out in another thread that the number in the ring was the lot number. I meant the 5 digit number underneath the lot number ring. He said he wasn't sure what that meant. That is the number I was referring to.