What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pounder box stencilling help deciphering please

It's a rifle ammunition box been repurposed to house 2 pdr apcbc shot, not complete rounds, just the projectiles. Possibly some connection to Eskmeals as they were loading ammunition from components for plate proving.

Thank you. Any idea what the stenciling on the back represents?

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

FFE 114 - Free From Explosive - I'm led to believe that when ammunition containers are disposed of from the service, it became a requirement that the container was certified FFE to ameliorate the perennial problem of live ammunition being released into the public. The number will identify the person certifying the container.

LTN 12/84 - Pace and date of certifying. CAD (Central Ammunition Depot) Longtown (It has had a number of titles - BAD (Base Ammunition Depot and I think it is now called MOD Longtown). 12/84 - December 1984.

CAD Longtown is just north of Carlisle, east of Gretna Green and only just inside the English border with Scotland. It was formerly part of H.M. Factory Gretna that was built in the Great War to manufacture Cordite. This factory complex was about 9 miles long, two miles wide and straddled the border. Their maximum output was 1,400 tons of Cordite a week. There is a small purpose built museum in Eastriggs - "The Devil's Porridge Museum" (Devil's Porridge is a euphemism for Cordite) which is worth a visit if one is in the area. Eastriggs itself was home to CAD Eastriggs (closed 2010).

I think the other markings relate to inspection of the shot, but need to seek confirmation.

TimG

Tim is quite correct, and it is for the end user to certify all empty cartridge cases and packaging is free from explosives, ie, live ammunition, booster charges, CS gas pellets etc etc.
When I was serving I always did it myself, ie check containers and sign off the certs. Army was pretty strict, and a good friend lost his LSGC medal for trusting a J/NCO with the job, resulting in an unused 25 pdr booster charge being left in a box and subsequently found resulting in a disciplinary. He did regain it after some time, but it made him wary in the future.
Alan1.