What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pounder Naval question

SG500

Premium Member
A friend of mine sent me these photos, apologies for the quality of the pictures, I'll have to show him the finer points of taking photos :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
anyway..............

this is a 2 pounder Naval projectile.
The stamping is as follows:-

AP-2pr
1V/N
LUV 4-44

Underneath the screw off base,are 2 felt washers and the copper washer and a cavity.
There are traces of yellow paint on the screw off base and in the stamping on the projectile.

Does anyone have any information on this projectile. It appears to be an APHE projectile but is only stamped AP.
All INERT and empty etc.

Thanks,

Dave.

Attachments

• Naval 2 pounder 1.jpg
    Naval 2 pounder 1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Naval 2 pounder 2.jpg
    Naval 2 pounder 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Naval 2 pounder 3.jpg
    Naval 2 pounder 3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 54
2pr ap

Cant ident it but its nice and curious. Cant believe the near obsolete AA armament on a ship of 1944 period would need AP. If used in the anti sub role for surface attack still doesn't make logical sense as ship has bigger guns and would stand off to reduce the risk from the sub returning fire. This leaves the 40mm aircraft gun not normally marked 2pr. Unless it was very early in the project but 1944 is a late date for these guns. One of the rarer 2prs mentioned elsewhere? Cant help thinking it would look good on my shelf though. 2pr

Cant ident it but its nice and curious. Cant believe the near obsolete AA armament on a ship of 1944 period would need AP. If used in the anti sub role for surface attack still doesn't make logical sense as ship has bigger guns and would stand off to reduce the risk from the sub returning fire. This leaves the 40mm aircraft gun not normally marked 2pr. Unless it was very early in the project but 1944 is a late date for these guns. One of the rarer 2prs mentioned elsewhere? Cant help thinking it would look good on my shelf though. 2pr

Thanks 2 pounder. Yes its a bit of a mystery, it would look good on my shelf too, no chance of that though.
Dave.