What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pounder projectile painted inert

Quatermass

2 pounder painted inert projectile

Strange one this, a 40x304R 2 pounder projectile without a tracer.
Original crimp and paint, the two white bands on the nose for AP but no red band for tracer, the word 'inert' is painted below the tracer 'eyebrows'.
Do members have an idea why they wouldn't have fitted the tracer, maybe for plate testing?
The stampings are AP 2PR MKVIII (with the possibility of a very lightly stamped T) MMLtd 3 43

2 PR inert projectile.jpg2 PR inert2.jpg2 PR inert stampings.jpg2 PR inert.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Q,i think its a representative round,probably used in the classroom. There is no tracer shown as this could cause confusion between inert and service rounds,and is clearly marked inert. Nice one,well done. Tig.

Thanks Tig, that certainly seems a resonable explanation.
I know nothing about representative rounds, if its a teaching piece wouldn't they want it painted the same as a service round, with inert painted over the top?

Hi Q,one thing about British Ammunition marking is that its always accurately marked,items would never be issued showing live components if they were not present.Representative rounds are the same in form and weight as a filled service round. I have various types of L60 Bofors and none represent HE. All practice. Thats not to say they dont exist though! Cheers Tig.