What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pounder tank base fuzed HE

SG500

Premium Member
I found this in a box today when I was sorting stuff out, thought it would be of interest.
I don't recall seeing may of the base fuzed versions around. Does anyone know what date they stopped using them?
All INERT etc.
Dave.

2 pounder HV base fuzed 003.jpg2 pounder HV base fuzed 001.jpg2 pounder HV base fuzed 006.jpg2 pounder HV base fuzed 005.jpg2 pounder HV base fuzed 004.jpg2 pounder HV base fuzed 002.jpg

Hi Dave,
That is a lovely round, what was it doing hiding in a box ? i am sure i could find some shelf space for it :xd:
The No 281 base fuzes are quite hard to come by, i was lucky to pick up a similar round a few years ago at Beltring. Thanks for showing it, best regards Weasel.

Thanks Andy. It was in a box because I tend to only display tank rounds that have tungsten cores or darts in them. Its one of those odd rounds that doesn't quite fit with what I collect but its nice all the same.
Good find at Beltring. A few of these came on the market about 15 years ago, possibly from the same source.
Dave.

Without wanting to appear pedantic its a ‘Shell, Q.F., Armour-Piercing, 2-PR Mark I’.
I don’t when it stopped being used but the first mention of the AP Shot in the Handbook is amendment No. 1 of April 1940.
The statement of ammunition of November 1940 shows one mark of AP Shell & two marks of AP Shot & flathead practice.

Beautiful rounds chaps, esp US-Subs, I managed to pick up two of these three before I found my first decent AP Shot !
Sadly, non of the three have the 281 fuse, or original paint (no kidding!) all obviously inert.

British 2PR AP MK1-1024.jpg

Two of the three have clear markings on the body as follows.. A.P.2PR I H.LTD and are dated 11/36 and 4/37 other lot numbers etc are also present.
It would be nice to see some more posted.

Rich

Thanks for showing. This has just cleared up a little mystery that has been gnawing at me for a few years. Does anyone have a diagram showing the internal parts? I tried searching on `281' and found nothing, not even this thread and `Fuze 281' brings up lots of threads with the word `Fuze' in them. Thanks. Matthew

Thanks for putting up the diagram, Quatermass. I found the rear end (tracer unit) of one of these a few years ago, broken off from the threaded portion. Mine is dated 1937. It is the only one I have found in over 40 years.

CNV00200.JPGI found another tracer unit this month and will try to attach a photo here.