What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pr AT Drill Round

Richard709

Hi To All,

I need some help with this one does anyone have any photo's of what this should look like, All the wooden drill rounds i have seen have either been of black ebony type or nicely polished. it is a bit battered and I would like to bring it back to some sort of nice finish, preferably straight polish if I can. Some details can be seen on the base, the primer is etched on. It is 16 1/2in (41.5cm) long, base is 2 3/16in (56mm) Dia. Proj is brass and 3in (76mm) long. I have copied what I can make out from the base.

anyone have any Idea of date. all help gratefully received.
All the Best.
Richard.Web 2 pr at 016.jpgWeb 2 pr at 017.jpgWeb 2 pr at 018.jpgWeb 2 pr at 019.jpgWeb 2 pr at 020.jpgWeb 2 pr at 021.jpgWeb 2 pr at 022.jpgWeb 2 pr at 023.jpgWeb 2 pr at 025.jpgWeb 2 pr at 026.jpg

You have a Mark I drill cartridge. The cartridge is of hardwood with a brass base and tip. The cartridge is brought up to weight and strengthened by a mild steel bolt through the centre. The base is fitted with a rubber plug to cushion the blow of the firing pin.
I'd guess the date is somewhere around pre to mid WW2.
AAAA2pdr3.jpg

Hi Quatermass, Thanks for that, yours looks very nice all polished up. I may take mine to a french polishers just up from my mothers for some advice on removing the paint and what to use to rejuvenate the wood, not to far from him is a hardwood supplier, so may be able to get other half made or maybe I will just polish the bit of wood I have and leave it at that.

Richard

Hello Richard, I'd be inclined to tidy it up but leave it 'sectioned' so you can see how its manufactured.
Good luck with the restoration.

Hi to All,

After some cleaning with T-cut the headstamp shows a lot more detail. I have enlarged the funny looking "F" on the left side, I take it that is the makers mark and made in 1942 for Mks 9 & 10 Guns.
Richard
web new drawing.jpg

Richard,

Firestone Tyre and Rubber Co. Ltd, Great West Road, Hounslow, Middx.

Regards

TimG

Thanks very much for the Maker Identification TimG, Quatermass nice to see what mine would have looked like. almost identical, Thank you.

Richard

Nicelly restored Richard, I like to see how it all goes together. All that sanding must be good exercise for you!
Cheers
gary

Cheers for that Gary, I have 2 things left to do, first is to french polish the inside areas of the wood where it touches the metal and last is to make a new pin in brass instead of the original steel, I have the brass bar and I am just waiting for the shellac to arrive.
All the Best.
Richard

Nice job Richard,would look good displayed next to a complete one. They do turn up quite often. All the best Tony.