What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 m/m projectile I/D required.

Bockscar

This is a 20 m/m projectile in my collection that I have been unable to identify and would appreciate any information on it if possible.
Overall the item measures 3.062" (77.79 m/m) long, has a diameter on the body of 0.780" (19.81 m/m) and a diameter over the rear copper driving band of 0.824" (20.92 m/m). The projectile is manufactured from an aluminium type alloy and has a metal band impressed in on the forward body. Manufactured in two parts that screw together, the hollow body contains a piercing penetrator weighing 84.5 Grammes, which I assume at this stage to be tungsten (or at least I hope it is!).
There are no markings on the body at all.
Have a look at the pictures and see what you think

Bockscar

Attachments

• ammunition 023.jpg
    ammunition 023.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 61
  • ammunition 024.jpg
    ammunition 024.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 59
  • ammunition 026.jpg
    ammunition 026.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 55
Oerlikon ?

Would I be right in saying that the rear of the body behind the driving band is a lesser diameter than the body in front of the band-if so, that would be most likely a special contract made for use in the Oerlikon gun.

Chris,

Well spotted indeed! Yes, a full one millimetre down on the size given for the main body. I can say it is a rattling good fit in a Hispano case so the Oerlikon system looks good.

Hey Bockscar,

Easy enough to find out whether it is tungsten or not........... tungsten in non magnetic.

greetz,

Menno.

Hey Bockscar,

Easy enough to find out whether it is tungsten or not........... tungsten in non magnetic.

greetz,

Menno.

Carefull Menno !
A pure Tungsten is non magnetic but an Tungsten alloy may well be magnetic !

Alloy as in the RARDEN APFSDS Penetrator rods which are definately magnetic.
As a loose rule of thumb you can apply the fact that the purer the Tungsten the "blacker" it will appear!

Hey Chris,

Thanx !!, That's new to me, guess I could have known though. Then again......... one's never to old to learn :flute:

I've tried the magnet method on WW2 German AP cores only and found that the ones I tested deffo don't attract a magnet, but I guess I learned something today.
Thanks again.

cheers,

Menno.

Last edited:
A/P core

I actually tested the core with a magnet when I wrote my initial post but forgot to include the fact that the core does indeed attract a magnet.
I would say that the attraction is fairly strong.
Just as a matter of interest does anyone know if DU cores are magnetic?

No !

I actually tested the core with a magnet when I wrote my initial post but forgot to include the fact that the core does indeed attract a magnet.
I would say that the attraction is fairly strong.
Just as a matter of interest does anyone know if DU cores are magnetic?

Not even slightly as they have no Iron content.

D.U.

Chris,

Thanks for the info on the DU...nice to know that I havent got any of that in the house!!