What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 mm ?

Thodin426

Hello,
Great forum!

I came across this forum searching for some info on a 20mm round which I picked up at a flee-market the other day for $10.00 US, I know its a 20mm but not sure what kind. I was wondering if anyone help me out or knows what it is.

Markings are: MK3-26 F 10-42 ( Markings are at the base, above the copper ring.)

Thanks,
Thodin426

Attachments

• MK3-26_20mm.jpg
    MK3-26_20mm.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 62
This is a projectile from a 20 x 110mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft round. It was made in 1942. Does the brass fuze unscrew?

This is a High Explosive projectile. If it does not unscrew, you cannot see that it is empty, and it could possibly still be live.

So this could still be a live round. Thanks for the heads up!!!
I tried to unscrew the head with my hands and it did not move, (I have strong hands) and now after reading your post I will not try to unscrew the head/fuse. I will treat as if it is a live round.
Next question, what could possibly detonate this if it is still live,..ie..falling on a hard surface and the safest way to handle it.
Not sure who to bring this to here in the US to verify if it is live or not or what I should do next. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Thodin426

The type of fuze used on these rounds requires alot of impact force to set off so it is unlikely to explode if dropped. One of the US members will probably have a better idea of what to do with it.