What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 X 119 French tube cannon

SG500

Premium Member
Attached are a couple of photographs of a 20 X 119 French tube cannon round.

What gun was this used in? Is it a sub calibre training round?

All INERT, primer oiled etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 20 X 119 tube cannon.BMP.JPG
    20 X 119 tube cannon.BMP.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20 X 119 tube cannon headstamp.JPG
    20 X 119 tube cannon headstamp.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 122
Hello

used in naval Guns.

Not very common.

used from 18xx years till 196x years !!

Last edited:
Thanks.
This may sound like a really silly question but which part of this headstamp is the date and what is the date?

Dave.

As far as I know:

S.F is the manufacturer: Socit Franaise des Munitions, (Gvelot S. A.), Place Jules Gvelot, 92310 Issy-Les-Moulineaux, France

20-1893-95 is 20mm Mle. 1893, 95 Calibres (barrel length of 1900mm)

9-37- is a date of September 1937

This may not be correct, bit I hope it is of some help.

20 m/m TC

The 20 m/m Tube Canon is a short range device used in the 10 c/m CTR mle 1881 , 138,6 , 164,7 and 194 m/m navy guns. This device was adopted in 1893 and modified in 1895 ( sorry Falcon it is not the barrel lengh ) and was still made in the 1950's Various hstps have been used along the years but for yours , at 6 you have the lot number and then the year of manufature; on earlier hstps you can find also the date of contract
H.A.N.D
phil

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a fired case for one of these at the Bunker Bash show last week. the headstamp is: "T.C R5.4.14". What was the name of the firm that manufactured this case?

What are they worth, I might see one at the end of the month, but I recall there was a hole in the case which spoils it I expect. If anyone is interested let me know. I think it was ww1 or so

but I recall there was a hole in the case which spoils it I expect.

Gspragge, why that? A drilled cartridge case is the scientific way of deactivation while all features of the cartridge are preserved. Pulling projectiles is not. (though some base fuzed projectiles do require such for legal reasons, depending on what country)

picked one up a while ago headstamp Ste Fse Mons 1901, its in the bits going to Codicote BOCN meet so am interested in value too.