What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm apds

Spaceinvader

I just recently got a 20mm APDS round, from the CWIS systems on battleships, and I was wondering if there is anyway to get the AP core out of the projectile. I have seen cut away pictures, and it seems the plastic sabot it held onto the base by the base being screwed onto the sabot with threads. Should i be able to just twist it apart? Or is it diffrent from type to type, or glued on. Any help would be great. Also I had no idea where to put this so i thought under Cartriges would be good. Thanks!

There have been a number of different projectiles since the gun was first put in service. They are different colors and the cores can be tungsten or depleted uranium. Perhaps is you posted a photo, some of the members might already have sectioned rounds to show and make comments about.

Here is some photos. The projectile has an inverted cone on the bottom, has 4 white plastic petals, and I believe the base is made of aluminum. Just above the driving band it reads "OLM1 1F001-003". Also sorry for the bad photo quality, my camera has issues with the flash.

Attachments

• DSCN1105[1].jpg
    DSCN1105[1].jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1106[1].jpg
    DSCN1106[1].jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1107[1].jpg
    DSCN1107[1].jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1108[1].jpg
    DSCN1108[1].jpg
    98 KB · Views: 23
Hi, be careful how much force you put on the sabot when you try and get into it. I'm not sure about this particular one but some are bonded into place, some screw in place and the last thing you want to do is to grip it tightly and find the sabot breaks into pieces.

Dave.

Oh no, I was just wondering if you can, and if so how. Im planning on getting another one and doing a cut away.

Last edited:
So I have looked over this thing very well, and im thinking, like SG500 said, its bonded into place. Its not screwed into place, and I even put it up to a bright light, and see the AP core inside, but nothing else. And im assuming there is no way to open it with out cutting or breaking.

Last edited:
Spaceinvader,

The Mk149 Mod4 projectile is one of the APDS projectiles for the CIWS. (newest one is the heavier Mk244 Mod0 with red sabot)
The plastic sabot is indeed molded around the aluminum petal, and cannot be removed (unless breaking it)
The case for this projectile has special markings.

See on my site for more info on this (and other) 20x102 projectiles: http://www.20mmcollector.net/20mm.htm

Ok thats a big help orpheus72, and how much is a real case from one of the white APDS rounds? As the case I got with the projectile was not the original one. Also how much are the projectiles worth? And is it possible to get a red tipped projectile? Or no, because they are still in use?

EOD,

Yep only 20x102 and modern handgrenades... (see startpage of the site: www.20mmcollector.net )

Just found a lovely 20x102 APFSDS... I'm writing a thread for more info on that one as we speak ;-)