What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm But Whats The purpose?

Darren

Here i have a 20mm round, nice brass case, Headstamp 20mm LOT 1 73

The projectile appears to be made from some sort of resin/plastic and looks to be well made.

Was this projectile made just as a display piece or would it have been some sort of demo model or something else?

Cheers,
Darren

Attachments

• done (3).jpg
    done (3).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 41
  • done (4).jpg
    done (4).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 49
  • done (5).jpg
    done (5).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 44
20mm

I suspect this is no more than a replica projectile made up by somebody.

I have seen a number of these lately. The Tank Museum is selling Rarden and Aden cases with replica projectiles in their shop.

It is relatively easy to make a silicon mould and then cast as many as you need.

Regards,
TonyE

I suspect this is no more than a replica projectile made up by somebody.

I have seen a number of these lately. The Tank Museum is selling Rarden and Aden cases with replica projectiles in their shop.

It is relatively easy to make a silicon mould and then cast as many as you need.

Regards,
TonyE

Thanks Tony,
I thought it may be just that, i just wanted to make sure that it was nothing special and worth keeping before i put it on S/A (i would have kept them in my collection if they were the real deal)

I also have 4 30mm rounds with resin projectiles which are stamped (inerte 42 180 195) into the projectiles, i guess these will just be replicas manufactured for the mass market also and nothing special?

Cheers,
Darren

Attachments

• done (32).jpg
    done (32).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 28
  • done (33).jpg
    done (33).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 33
  • done (34).jpg
    done (34).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Resin

Not so sure about those, but I would not expect a round from Radway Green to have an inert proj with "inerte" spelled with an "e".

Possibly a mis marriage of a genuine 30mm inert proj with an RG case.

Regards
TonyE

Ive seen plastic? head sold as breakup rounds ! i assume these are for Spotting purposes.

I have seen resin rounds with stampings of the priginal projectile. If a silicone mould is made, some of the leters will show through. I suspect yours is simply a replica.

Ive seen plastic? head sold as breakup rounds ! i assume these are for Spotting purposes.

breakup shot are not Spotting rounds,they are originally used to check automatic recoil systems during tests or drills also used during training exercises.originally they were thin cylinders of waxed paper containing sand or water ,nowadays they are plastic filled with powder or a thick liquid.upon firing centifugal force drives the filling outwards splitting the projectile along pre formed lines of weakness the contents dispell within a few feet of the muzzle

attatched pic shows my 40mm breakup shot

Attachments

• DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 29