What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Cable Cutter Cartridge

jayteepee_1999

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Does anyone have details on this British Cable cutting cartridge? 20mm dia not seaking or wessex but may be for sonar cable cutting - size would not be metric due to its age

Last edited:
Does anyone out there have any good examples of this. Dates and where on what aircraft were they fitted?

Any type of plane towing a Horsa or Waco glider as this cartridge was used to cut the towing cable. As far as I can recall these were the Dakota and the Short stirling

Um, different to the link from SPOTTER, but this an unusual item and could be used for various jobs during WII

Cable cutter

These were also used on Halifaxes. I had one of these cutters that i sent to Canada for their Halifax restoration project.

cable cutter and cart info

cheers Bob.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 58
wrong cart,try this!

ignore 30/20mm wrong post!

Bob

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 33
Cable cutter

This is the cartridge from a cable cutter. The projectile is hardened steel. The case is a cut off brass 12g shotgun. Headstamp is ELEY-KYNOCH on top and 12 ICI (logo) 12

Attachments

• Cable cutter.jpg
    Cable cutter.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 18
  • Cable cutter 2.jpg
    Cable cutter 2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi, I take it they were 2inch cartridges as the 3inch brass one that i have looks way to long can anybody confirm that please
Cheers
Andy

Hi all,
There were at least 2 versions of this.
One of them is as per the photo that was posted at the start of this thread, with the "ELEY-KYNOCH 12 O 12" headstamp. My specimen has a 2-piece brass case of about 1.25" length.

The other one I have is a 1-piece drawn-brass case of 1.05" length, although the total length is about the same as the other one. The headstamp on this one is " I.C.I. 42 MK III Z", so is clearly a purpose made military case, as opposed to a converted civilian case. So if this is the Mk 3, is the previous one a Mk1 or Mk 2? And whichever one it is, what does the missing one look like?

Roger.

Hi Roger, many thanks for that have you any photos please i do have a cutter Proj and have just found a case but its a 3inch one but with the commercial head stamp ELEY-KYNOCN 12 0 12 and was going to cut it to the right length.
Regards
Andy