What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm confusion?

navyman

Hello all,
Can anyone let me know what manufacturer made this round? I know it sounds daft but whenever I see ARC, I can only think of Amey Roadstone Corporation, a local mining company!
The head stamp reads; B.M ARC 1939 Z1 20mm.
Hopefully?
Guy.

Or do you mean BMARCO?

[FONT=&quot]British Manufacturing And Research Company[/FONT]

Bmarco

Yes, your round was made by BMARCO, based in Grantham. BMARCO had close links with Oerlikon in Switzerland and had the UK rights to manufacture their cannons and ammuntion.

The company had a somewhat chequered history, including its managing director being investigated by MI5, and survived until the 1990s I think.

Your round is a 20mm Hispano and I presume is a Ball Mark IZ (not ZI). This simply means it is loaded with nitrocellulose propellant.

Regards
TonyE

Hello and thanks,
There is a clear dot between B and MARC but I suspect this is of no consequence. Yes I misread the nitro cellulose mark as I was looking at a picture of the round which is at present in the post! I really should know better, my excuse is that I have gone deaf, yes really, and a bit disorionated, waiting for treatment on Wednesday, it's a nuisance as I cant even get out on my trike because I can't hear the other traffic, and can't listen to music or even worse, the Archers!
Thanks again for your help,
Very best,
Guy.