What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm German

timeout

I bought a rusty 20mm case and thought I would clean it up a bit, so gave it a dusting and it has some marks on which I do not know what they mean. Under the eagle and very faint in red circle is IV..... so any help would be great thanks....paul.fossil bullet 20mm 008.JPG

Well I will tell you what info I found,the eagle with M 111/3 marking is Kriegsmarine,it was made by Meta Metallwerk,Arnstadt,Germany,who was managed by the navy,the auz marking is Polte,Magdeburg,who as far as I can find out was running the factory as a subsidiary later in the war,but I could be wrong.....Pete.

thanks Peter.....Now the case was very tatty but a little work removing the rust and lacquer, underneath seems to be a grey primer, I wonder if that is on all steel cases or just Navy? Can I ask where did you get the info for M111/3 from. I have a few more cases and might give them the same treatment......paul.