What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm. Hispano.

poltewerke

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi all, here are a few variations of British WW2 & post WW2 manufactured projectiles. The final group are Polsen/Oe. type. Ron.

Attachments

• 20mm. Hispano Airservice.jpg
    20mm. Hispano Airservice.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20mm. Hispano Airservice 001.jpg
    20mm. Hispano Airservice 001.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 135
  • 20mm. Hispano Airservice 002.jpg
    20mm. Hispano Airservice 002.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20mm. Hispano Airservice 003.jpg
    20mm. Hispano Airservice 003.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20mm. Polsen.jpg
    20mm. Polsen.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 123
Nice collection there, it seems that complete Hispano rounds, which are not projectiles inserted into cases, are difficult to find with any type of projectile.

used in spitfire ?

Hi Ron,

which of these great looking shells went through the Hispano as mounted in the wing of a Spitfire?

Lex

20 Hispano

Nice set Ron. Are the two cylindrical shot on the right of the fourth picture the ones I had about twenty five years ago?

Cheers
TonyE

20mm. HS.

Hi Ron,

which of these great looking shells went through the Hispano as mounted in the wing of a Spitfire?

Lex
Hi mate, as for group one starting from the left i.e. assembled rounds - all were operational types apart from round No.8 on far right - proof round representing HE/l loading. All projectiles in group two were operational loadings. ln group three, again all operational with exception of No.5 - this is for test of det. and trial only. No.6 is inert SAP/l practice - post WW2 vintage. Group 4 item 1 is APMk.ll w/out impact nose cap. ltem 2 is sectioned SAP/l Mk.lZ. item 3 is sectioned HE/l Mk.lZ - note early fuse. ltem 4 is exptl. ''Littlejohn'' - AP configuration. The last two are exptl. projectiles - Testing materials for very high velocities, research into the bands and bodies for future APDS gun ammo.Best regards, RonB.

Hey Ron,

Really nice collection! I haven't seen anything like this before on HS rounds. Thanks for sharing them with us!

John

Hi Ron,

Lex

Hi Lex, you got every piece of info on the great looking shells... except what you asked, I think? :confused:
I think all the rounds in the first pic would be able to fire through the cannon on a WW2 Spit,,,unless the canon has been "killed" :D

Regards

Last edited:
20mm H.S.

Hi Lex, you got every piece of info on the great looking shells... except what you asked, I think? :confused:
I think all the rounds in the first pic would be able to fire through the cannon on a WW2 Spit,,,unless the canon has been "killed" :D

Regards
Hi, re-read the first line -'' all are operational types'' except rd. on far right in photo 1. The projectiles in photo 2 are all for service. Cheers, RonB. P.S. Would you like me to l.D. the service HS types shown?

Last edited:
Hi Ron, sorry my friend, a slight translation problem. I am a silly American. I now know "operational types" are the 20mm rounds that would be shot through the wing cannons of the WW2 Spitfire.
Nice collection. Thanks for showing them, and also the detailed info. No need for more info myself, I collect guns and grenades. :)

Regards, Steve

Hi Ron, sorry my friend, a slight translation problem. I am a silly American. I now know "operational types" are the 20mm rounds that would be shot through the wing cannons of the WW2 Spitfire.
Nice collection. Thanks for showing them, and also the detailed info. No need for more info myself, I collect guns and grenades. :)

Regards, Steve
Steve, glad to hear you collect grenades - so do l in a small way, but yes you've guess it - only British. Cheers, Ron.