What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm I.D Please

Darren

Any thoughts on this 20mm round?

Headstamp: 20mm 1941 (and 3 symbols)

Any ideas what this round is and what the 3 'crows feet' symbols mean?

Projectile has R C stamped on the base of it.

Cheers,
Darren

Attachments

• done (6).jpg
    done (6).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 58
  • done (7).jpg
    done (7).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 69
  • done (8).jpg
    done (8).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
20mm

That is a really interesting round! I have not seen the three broad arrows in a headstamp before.

As I am sure you are already aware, it is a British 20mm Hispano ball round.

The history of the headstamp is that when the new ordnance factories were built in 1938 with the re-armament expansion, their identity was kept as secret as possible.

When they started production around 1940/41, broad arrow headstamps were used to maintain secrecy. A single broad arrow was used by ROF Radway Green, two broad arrows was used by ROF Spennymoor, and three broad arrows by ???. I suspect it may be ROF Swynnerton.

After a year or so, the factories started using the codes they used for the rest of their existence, RG for Radway Green etc.

...and who stuck that horrible glue all over it?

Regards
TonyE

20mm H/S

Hi Darren and TonyE,
Yes, the "3 Broad Arrows" headstamp is not common. I have one in my collection, but have seen few others.
I was told it was for ROF Steeton & Thorpe Arch, which subsequently started using the code ST (Hispano rounds with this headstamp also seem to be much scarcer than those made by some of the other manufacturers.)
Roger.

20mm

Thanks Roger. Steeton & Thorpe Arch makes sense, as they did make cases and Swynnerton was a loading station.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Guys for the information, the glue was there when the round arrived with me a pain but i have now managed to remove the projectile. Once fully clean and free from glue i will post photos.

Not sure if it is the original projectile for this case but the projectile has RC stamped on the bottom.

Cheers,
Darren

If you have access to a lathe (which you may well not), It is easy to make a resizing ring for cases. When resized in this way, the projectile would be a tight fit. I have done a few rounds this way.

If you have access to a lathe (which you may well not), It is easy to make a resizing ring for cases. When resized in this way, the projectile would be a tight fit. I have done a few rounds this way.

Thanks for the great idea, i myself do not have access to one but am lucky at the moment as most of my projectiles are a pretty reasonable fit.

I have now removed the projectile from this round, cleaned all of the glue off and cleaned it all the best that i can with what i have to hand (brasso) The projectile is a little loose but not enough to worry about.

I do not usually clean rounds when i get them too much as i like the look of an 'aged' case but after all of the glue etc was removed it did all look a little tatty with dark/light patches everywhere, i decided to go the whole way and polish. Not sure how long it will take bIt im sure the case will darken back down in colour eventually.

Pictures to come in a while.

Cheers,
Darren

Apparently "cooking" the case in the oven for a while will darken it. In an oven with a glass door you can see how dark it is getting, simply remove it when at the amount of darkness wanted. Obviously do NOT try this on any case with an unfired primer.

Photos after glue removal and quick clean.

Attachments

• DSC03377.jpg
    DSC03377.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC03378.jpg
    DSC03378.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC03379.jpg
    DSC03379.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03380.jpg
    DSC03380.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 55
Shell

I meant to also say that the shell was made by the Raleigh Cycle Company. (RC)

Regards
TonyE