What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm MK.II Lighter

AlJC475

Hello everyone.
Picked this up today in a charity shop out of curiosity. Its a desk lighter. I presume its been made from a 1942 20mm round.
I'm hoping someone can tell me what exactly the round would have been used with. Are we talking aircraft or AA. I was wondering if the anchor symbol between U.S signified US Navy.
Having spent the evening googling, none of the images I have found look quite like this one. I'm guessing its been cut down in length but even the domed head looks different to images I have seen on the web. Ignoring the plinth, the round measures only 4 inches long.
Thanks for looking,
Al
DSC09318.jpg
DSC09311.jpg
DSC09312.jpg
DSC09316.jpg

Yes, your case is cut down, and someone did an excellent job making a cover for the lighter that looks like a projectile. It is 20mm Oerlikon, typically used in the antiaircraft role, although if you watch the movie "The Longest Day", the Germans had one on top of a hotel shooting at French infantry. Your case is U.S., but a number of nations used the gun to include the U.S., UK, Germany and Japan.

U.S. Gun info:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_2cm-70_mk234.htm

The last photo shows what the complete rounds looked like. Yours is the round on the left.

Attachments

• WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_sketch C.jpg
    WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_sketch C.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 8
  • WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_quad_pic.jpg
    WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_quad_pic.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 8
  • WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_British_sketch.jpg
    WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_British_sketch.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 8
  • WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_British_mk5_pic.jpg
    WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_British_mk5_pic.jpg