What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm MK3 Oerlikon with tetryl?

colt45lush

Hi all this is my first thread and maybe the last for a while as my interests are all over the place. I do need some information though concerning a 20mm mk3 projectile seen at a flea market this past weekend. A outside vendor had a few nice projectiles and casings mainly a 20mm Oerlikon I needed for my MK2 casing. Now I have came across tracer compound still intact but never anything inside the HE area. The projectile's fuse cap was empty but the main body had a substance that I can best describe as looking like compressed particle board found on cheap furniture. After little searching I see tetryl was used and it looks yellow and is compressed to form pellets? So #1. I am mad for leaving it as it was $3 and wanted it. #2. Now that I have more info I am kind of glad I left it but would like to know if this could have been HE. I would think the good ole USA would have decommissioned there own stuff. By the way it was painted "army" green if that helps.

Any info is much appreciated as I would like to collect in this area of militaria but I am a little leery of bringing home something dangerous. Canvas items, canteens and clothing won't go boom! :tinysmile_tongue_t: I have enjoyed searching this site and there is a lot of nice things to see and learn!

Better safe than sorry

Bottom line with all ammo items is that if there is any doubt about any potentially flammable/explosive filling do the sensible thing and steer well clear of it-you did the right thing by walking away from it.
Other items will turn up which can be seen to be safe-be patient as it will be worth it in the long run.

Sadly whichever country you live in there is always a risk of "live" items escaping due to all sorts of innocent reasons, and some if not most end up being detected due to injury or death-but by then it is too late