What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Oerlikon cases

charley777

IMG_4793.jpgIMG_4799.jpgIMG_4800.jpgGreetings to all
Can someone please tell me if these Oerlikon cartridges are Clearing Charges or just regular Blanks.
They are roughly 100mm in length.
Thanks very much
Charley

Hi Charley ,

I believe these are blanks made for the film industry.Made at ODL in Wanganui ,probably out of blank cases.
The blank (100mm) case has the shoulder at about 75mm ,whereas the standard case has shoulder at 85mm.
Not sure why the crimping instead of the standard card cup , maybe to get more pressure out of the round?.

cheers
Bob

I agree that these are probably film industry blanks. The gun clearing round simply has a shoulder with no neck. I do not have an example so cannot show it but I will photograph my Hispano gunclearing round and post later.

Regards
tonyE

Here's a pic of a clearing round No.1 Mk11 N (RG Oez 44) and a fired standard case.
.006.JPG

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob for posting the Oerlikon gun clearer.

Here are a couple of other British gun clearing blanks alongside their parent cases. left is 30/20mm ADEN and right is 20mm Hispano.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Gun clearers.jpg
    Gun clearers.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 47
Tony, thanks for this image. Any chance you tell us the case lengths of the ADEN (both) and of the HS clearing case? Do the clearing cases have head stamps?

Thanks Bob for posting the Oerlikon gun clearer.

Here are a couple of other British gun clearing blanks alongside their parent cases. left is 30/20mm ADEN and right is 20mm Hispano.

Regards
TonyE
Tony,
Thanks for posting the hispano clearing round, i'd never heard of it before and often wondered if one did exist. do you know what its use was, given the hispano was mainly an aircraft mounted gun, was it for the few AA mountings?.

Also had a thought on why Charley's blank rounds are crimped , maybe to aid feeding, provide a lead in, as the stardard clearing round was designed for manual loading.?.

cheers
Bob

EOD...the blanks (thanks for the input Rob) are more or less 100mm in length.
Yes TonyE it would be good to know the lengths of the Hispano and Aden 30/20 clearing charges, thanks.
Charley