What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Projectile - is it dangerous?

MotorpoolMac

HI, I'm looking for information on a 20mm projectile I picked up in an abandoned house on a western South Dakota ranch.

It appears to be cast in 2 pieces the nose and about half the body is a lighter gray color and slightly larger diameter (by about .02 inch) than the lower half which looks like plain steel. All of it is attracted by a magnet. In the base is a hole about a quarter inch in diameter and filled with something relatively soft. It was very rusty, as I would expect steel or iron to be after 50-60 years, I soaked it in muriatic acid to remove the rust. There are small remnants of black paint around the lower half. I managed to make out the numbers "LOT 09 4520MM M95" on the bronze/copper ring at the base.

Would anyone here be able to tell me if this might be dangerous? I'd love to know the back story on this. Do the markings indicate a date? is there any way to know if it has been fired? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

First of all before handling any type of munitions you need to be able to answer the question you have asked........if you cant then dont handle it !!!!!!!!

I am no expert in this area, but sounds to me like an unfired projectile, possibly containing a tracer element, if not anything more sinister. The copper band (drive band) would be serrated if it had been fired so if the writing is on this band it sounds unlikely to have been fired.

I would really advise you not to handle it further until someone with better knowledge than me can inform you better.

Sorry to be a little blunt with my answer but life is short enough without taking risks.....I am sure another forum member can advise you on the best course of action.

kind regards Kev

As above ,but AP-T (Armour Piercing- Tracer). The hole in the base indicates tracer.

Bob