What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

210-MM German AP/HE

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Interesting projectile. I can't find any documentation on it. However I thought everyone would like to see this. I suspect naval, however ... I am not sure.

Dia: 210MM
Length: 449MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-SM-127-7.jpg
    ICE-SM-127-7.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 168
  • ICE-SM-127-15.jpg
    ICE-SM-127-15.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 146
  • ICE-SM-127-17.jpg
    ICE-SM-127-17.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 114
  • ICE-SM-127-21.jpg
    ICE-SM-127-21.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi Joe,

I don't known the exact denomination of this shell, but you should must look on the german shell WW I of the "Kriegsmarine".

Internal fuze, two driving band and a base plate are typical for this type of shells.

I'm looking further

Yoda

that's a "21 cm Granate 91" for 21 cm mortar and 21 cm bronze mortar (no Navy use)

The correct fuze would be a "Granatznder C/82". The Fuze together with booster "Zndladung C/88" and gaine "Mundlochfutter C/88" is called "Granatzndung C/88" (I have never seen one) The shell was (like all 1888 pattern shells) filled with picric acid.

The two letter GG on the head are the abbreaviation for the factory "Geschtz-Gieerei" which was the prussian royal cannon casting factory in Spandau/Berlin

Last edited:
Thank you very much ... couldn't even imagine that thing coming at me.

So why we are on the topic ... does anyone have a fuze they can show, or is this a very rare thing?

Joe

Hi everybody,

Wow, what a beautiful day ! Something more to learn today !

Thanks men !

Yoda

The correct fuze would be a "Granatznder C/82". The Fuze together with booster "Zndladung C/88" and gaine "Mundlochfutter C/88" is called "Granatzndung C/88" (I have never seen one)

Hi,

Could it be this one ?

Pascal

Attachments

• Gr.Z.C82.jpg
    Gr.Z.C82.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Joe /Stephan.

Very interesting - I have never seen the projectile nor fuse of the 210mm howitzer before!

Here's the corresponding case - these are much more common, although like everything getting harder to find now.

Merry Xmas!
Cheers
Drew

BTW - This is on the "for sale" list if anyone is interested......PM me

Attachments

• 210mm.jpg
    210mm.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 210mmbase.jpg
    210mmbase.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 48
The correct fuze would be a "Granatznder C/82". The Fuze together with booster "Zndladung C/88" and gaine "Mundlochfutter C/88" is called "Granatzndung C/88" (I have never seen one) The shell was (like all 1888 pattern shells) filled with picric acid.

Hi Stefan,

Are the above mentioned fuses for pre-WW1 21cm projectiles?

Flicking through my German WW1 fuses references, they only list the following for use with the 21cm:
lg.Bd.Z.10
Bd.Z.06 (obsolete)
kz.Bd.Z.10
Gr.Z.92
Gr.Z.96/04 (obsolete)
Gr.Z.04 &
Gr.Z 04/14

and I gather that the C/82 & C/88 would be the pattern 1882 & 1888 ones?

I'm aware that there were three patterns of the 21cm Mortar, perhaps each had a different designated fuse from the above list?

1) 21-cm Mortar dating from 1902;
2) Mortar, introduced in 1910
3) Long Mortar (latest pattern)

Perhaps you may be able to clarify here?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

@Drew: your case was not used with the shell from this thread. The old 21 cm (bronze) mortars for this shell used bag charges without a case. They were in use since the 1870s and the first pattern of the shells for these mortars had lead jackets.

For the fuzes I may expressed myself a little unclear as there was only one fuze for the shown shell. I'll try it mathmatically:

"Granatznder C/82" + "Zndladung C/88" + "Mundlochfutter C/88" = "Granatzndung C/88"

"Granatznder C/82" = Standard percussion fuze of that time used on various calibers, but intended for black powder shells
"Zndladung C/88" = booster pattern 1888
"Mundlochfutter C/88" = carrier for booster pattern 1888
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Granatzndung C/88" = name for these three parts assembled together

All pattern 1888 fuzes has been developed for picric acid (Lyddite) filled shells. In germany picric acid was introduced in 1888, so all 1888 pattern material was intended for this type of explosive. In 1902 TNT was introduced and picric acid declared obsolete as shell filling, but still used for gaines. That's one reason why the 1888 material is relatively rare. Only some old stocks were used in 1st WW. (with the introduction of TNT, also new types of 1902 and later pattern shells where introduced)

Last edited: