What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 cm german shellcases WOII and dutch

DM 53

Last week, me and a fellow collector found 3 24 cm shellcases.
After a long investigation, with help of of our friend Znder ( moderator WK2ammo) and a other dutch collector, we found most of the information. Hopefully a few collectors here will be able to help and fill in the gaps.
The following stamps were found:

Shellcase I:
Karlsruhe 1091and painted markings, with a dutch primer made in 1933.Painted markings appear to be W4M 54or W4N 54 ?This seems to be german export for the Netherlands, but what do the markings mean ?

Shellcase II:
Karlsruhe 1906, this was also, a german exportproduct for the Netherlands, but this one can be fitted with a german C/12 primer.
We think the painted markings 45,6 kg BM15 1939 dH 42 mean:
In 1942, this shellcase was loaded with captured french powder BM15 (The French also used nitrocellulose, but in a strip form. These French propellants were designated with BM followed by a number which indicated thickness, such as BM15).
1939 is the production date for the BM 15 powder/
dH refers to the Zeugamt Den Helder (Netherlands)

Shellcase III: this was also, a german exportproduct for the Netherlands, but this one can be fitted with a german C/12 primer.
It has the same markings as case nr. 2, but it has a Am stamp.
We suspect Amis a code for a Zeugamt in Amsterdam or Arnemuiden, but we are still looking for proof to back up this theory.

Are there any collectors out there who can help to clarify these theories ?

Best regards

DM

Attachments

• Afbeelding 005 (Small).jpg
    Afbeelding 005 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Afbeelding 002 (Small).jpg
    Afbeelding 002 (Small).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 64
Very nice indeed.

Well I am out there (probably more than I would like!) and must say they are most impressive, as regards the condition for something so old they are really great!

Are they all Brass ?

Thanks for showing us DM 53

And here is picture no 3, case is of 1906, marked at 6 o clock, so export,the ink markings speak for themselfs.

Does anyone has proof, or seen more evidence for the Frans gunpowder,used by Germany after there victory? Most likely they reused it for coastal defence purposes. Another Question, has anyone ever seen a WW2 stamped 24 cm L/40 case?

Kees

Attachments

• Afbeelding 003.jpg
    Afbeelding 003.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 26
Hi Chris,

Thank god there are people outthere:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Yes they are all brass ( the smaller one is german 15 cm L/45 of 1939. In my opinion they all have a very interesting history (german made for the netherlands then captured by the germans and filled with captured powder)

The 15 cm is almost clean and i will place som pics of it.

Regards Dm

Kees thanks for placing yours!

Why would case 3 have a ink stamp of 1939 and the BM15 code if it is a dutch case captured by the germans. In 1939 the germans hadn't invaded the Netherlands or France.

Hi There,

You are completly right when stating that the germans where not in France in 1939 but....
The year 1939 refers to date of production of the gunpowder BM15 made by the French. In 1940 the german captured also many depots and used the stocks for own benefits. In 1942 the case was filled in Den Helder by the germans (stamp dH 42).

Does this make things more clear???

Best regards

Dm

Last edited: