What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 X 138 B possible German expt projectile.

SG500

Premium Member
I got this from out of someones junk box a while ago.
The odd thing is its 24mm.
It is a thin walled mine type shell that is missing its fuze.
The part in the case extends as far into the case as the that is not in the case.
Unfortunately its been pushed into the case so hard I can't remove it and due to the thin walls I don't want to squeeze the projectile too much!!

The case appears to be a standard 20X138/B solothurn that has been renecked, I don't think its real (there is no head stamp and it looks like the original one has been ground off).

I am assuming its for the Experimental 24 X 138/B German round.

Has anyone got any further information or specimens in their collection they can show?

Thanks.

Dave.

Attachments

• 24 X 138 B  MG-C30 exp proj 1.JPG
    24 X 138 B MG-C30 exp proj 1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 24 X 138 B  MG-C30 exp proj 2.JPG
    24 X 138 B MG-C30 exp proj 2.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 97
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've only just spotted this one.

I have a 24x138B case (genuine, I believe) with a replica projectile in it, but I don't have any information about it:

23-25mm%20exp.jpg

Tony, would you mind posting a photograph of the headstamp on the forum please.
Ta,
Dave.

Hi Just a thought. It's not a tracer projectile is it and sombody has pushed it in upside down?

Hi, no, thanks for the idea but its definitely a thin walled mine shell with the rounded base - its easy to see and feel the profile of the base from within the shell cavity.

Dave.

Tony, would you mind posting a photograph of the headstamp on the forum please.
I doubt that it will photograph too well, the case obviously having been coated with something. However, using a magnifying glass I can make out:

fb 314 * em 44 (plus another small and faint symbol which I can't make out - looks like a bar with something else over it).

Hmmm,tricky one is that makers code 'em'.
My code bible strikes a blank on it.
'fb' however does come up as 'Mansfeld A-G, Metallwarenfabrik,Werk Rothenburg/Saale.
I was told that a star denotes an export round?
Hope this helps?

cheers

waff