What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

242A Fuze - Anybody have any info or photos

TinyP

Hi All does anyone have any info or photos / diagrams of this fuze. Thanks TinyP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 44
I don't have anything on a 242A, there were four marks of the regular fuze and a powder filled version called a 242P but I didn't know there was such a thing as a 242A. Herewith a picture of a No 242 Mk I (on the right) next to a 241 Naval Mk I. The 242 was, I believe used with the 6-Pr 10 cwt gun.

Fuze 241 and 242.JPG

I think it was a No.117 or 119 fuze. The 242A doesn't seem to be the fuze number.

Thanks for the feed back. I think you could be right about whether 242A is the fuze number. The lettering is also very rough and out of line compared to most British fuzes, so could possibly be a trials variant?

Will try digging a bit deeper

Hi Alpini

Just had a look at a 117, and they are very similar, so could be on to something there. The photo of a 119 that I've seen appears to have a knurled ring around both the top and bottom of the main fuze body, so this seems a little less likely.

There was no Fuze 242A listed, only 242 and 242P.
The 242 and 242P marks 1,2 and 3 were declared obsolete in WOLC C9009.
The 242 and 242P marks 4 were declared obsolete in WOLC C9008.

Perhaps Norman may be able to say more?

Yours looks more like the main portion of the body of a 117, less the top part. Is your internally threaded at the top? For 119, see: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/88995-Remnants-of-No-119-Fuzes. For 117, see: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/88994-Typical-remnants-of-No-117-Fuze. The 117 had a similar milled top to the 119 but this was screw-threaded for insertion into the main body, while the 119 was a one-piece body. Consequently when a 117 detonated its shell the milled top portion was often blown out of the fuze. When a 119 detonated the cross-hatch milled ring (or in one example in my photos just a plain milled ring) on the lower part of the body was sometimes rubbed off by friction with the ground. The 117 had a tiny grub screw for securing the top, milled part. This will be absent on a 119. The 119 had a relatively large (about 8 - 10 mm) screw-threaded hole plugged with a brass disc about half way up the body, for insertion of a solid steel bar, part of the safety arrangement. Not to be confused with the holes used for screwing the fuze home into a shell. The hole and disc are absent on the 117. Since the 117 was two main pieces, the top part of the main body was thinner, so when the fuze and shell detonated, the fuze wall often tore from top to bottom, giving a more pronounced banana peel effect. That did not always happen, depending on the type of ground and maybe also the angle of impact. Blinds were a known problem at very low angles of impact. The last photo on the second line here http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/83450-World-War-Two-beach-range shows the small grub screw for securing the top milled part of a 117.

Last edited:
Thank again, just come across this photo from an earlier thread (2013). Hope its attached ok, its of a 242 Fuse.

Can you also confirm what WOLC stands for?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 35
WOLC is short for War Office List of Changes. It was an official publication produced from 1860 to 1967, mostly on a monthly basis, recording the introduction, modification, obsolescence and demise of Service stores. It often contains a very good description of a new store and gives design drawing references. The file references of the approving authorities and dates are shown as marginal information.

The title of the publication varied over time to take account of the inclusion of Naval stores and Air stores.

Not all stores were included and some 'paragraphs' (as entries were called) were issued as confidential documents and are rarely to be found included in existing copies.

Canada and India had their own Lists of Changes. I don't know (but would like to) if Australia, New Zealand and South Africa had their own Lists of Changes.

Here is a plate of the Fuze 241 taken from BR 932 1945.
It was used in naval 2pr L.V, and in 3pr and 6pr HE.
It was also used in the 'K' device for 6" CPBC and 8" SAPC.

Attachments

• Fuze 241 Mk 1 - 1.jpg
    Fuze 241 Mk 1 - 1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 30
The fragment that I have, is internally threaded at the top and externally threaded at the bottom to fit into the projectile.

AE501 mentioned that the 242 also had marks, 1, 2, 3 & 4. So I've relooked at the markings (see photo attached) and am now starting to think that I have a '242/1', but because the number stamping on the fuze is so rough and appears to have been hand done, the / and the 1 may have over lapped slightly giving the appearance of a letter 'A' and sending me & you guys off down a bit of a rabbit hole. Have a look at the photo and see what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 24
One easy way to confirm what it is would be by measuring. If the piece you have is over 2.5cm from top to base excluding the screw thread then it will not be a no 241, 242, 244, or 257, it will either be a no 117 or 119 as Alpini indicated.

D

When I look at my collection my no.117 fuzes made by B.S.A, Birmingham Small Arms, all their Lotnumbers end with an A. As far as I know B.S.A only made the no.117 fuze.
For example lettering stamped on one of them:
no.117 III A B.S.A.- 3 CV BR 3/43 LOT 67A

I've measured the fuze as suggested and it measures 5 cm, so rules out 242 fuze, also Looking at Ammotechxt's link of 117 fuze fragments, they do look identical. Collector's comments were also very useful. The fragment I have is stamped BSA-3, and if BSA only produced the 117 fuze, then that Appears to confirm I have a No 117 fuze with Lot number 242A as suggested earlier.

Thanks alot everybody, really appreciate your time and effort on this one, without all this input I would definately have continued barking up the wrong (242) tree.

Collector,

would you have any photographs of your 117 fuze, it would be interesting to see the complete fuze with marking.

Collector,

The fuze you show appears to have a blue band around the top. Was this usual, and if so, what did it signify, please?

Regards,
Roger.

you'd better ask the "fuze-masters" Alpini and Bonnex, I'm nothing but en mere beginner, not even a student for as far as my knowledge goes. They should be able to provide you with a correct answer.

P1050582.jpgP1050583.jpgHere is an example of a 119 with the cross-hatch band mostly rubbed off. The fuze was fired with the safety cap in position, that is why there is no major deformation of the striker shield. Notice also how the fractures follow the weakest / thinnest parts of the body.