What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 pdr cartridge case and shells

GeorgeM

Can anyone supply the dimensions of the cartridge case and shells used for the 25pdr, I have a drawing from a long forgotten website, that has dimensions, but it is too small to make out the sizes.
I enclose the sheet I refer to, and it is virtually un-readable.

The info is for a modelling project with Resicast, we are producing a range of 1/35th resin kits of the 18pdr, 4.5" howitzer and the 18/25pdr. all as used by the bEF 1940.

Any help would be mucch appreciated.

Thanks.

George.

Attachments

• 25pndstarsmoke.jpg
    25pndstarsmoke.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 178
25 pounder case dimensions are 88x292R (sources vary, the colour plates you posted state 87x292R, another document I have states 89x292R). Rim diameter 104mm (plate states 103mm)

From the 1940 18/25 Handbook:

The Mark II case is of solid-drawn brass slightly tapered from the base to within 1.1 inch of the mouth, where it is cylindrical. The base is recessed, bored centrally and screw-threaded to receive the percussion primer; it projects circumferentially to form a rim by means of which the extractor of the breach mechanism automatically ejects the case when the breech is opened after firing.

According to the plates you posted the smoke shell (top left) has an overall length of 430.6mm

4 point 5 Howitzer

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
The model (we hope) to be available in February, to be released at the Trucks n Tracks show at Folkestone, Resicast in Belgium will be the manufacturer.

The gun will be the MkII version, used by the BEF, it has the underslung axletree, and rubber tyres, not the Martin Parry conversion. The 18pdr is the Martin Parry conversion with rubber tyres.
Later I hope to bring out the 18/25pdr and the 6" Howitzer. The 6", I am having slight problems with as there appears to be two types of axle mountings, the example here in the UK at FirePower Woolwich arsenal, is very complicated and I think a simpler version was made.

Any info you have would be of great value, any and all info is always welcome. I have original drawings of most of the guns, obtained from Woolwich, plus details from the manual, but in most cases, ammunition dimensions are rarely published, and that is what I need.
A collector in Australia has sent me some photo's of 25pdr rounds and cartridge case, with measurements, but I need to know what was available for the 25pdr early war. 39-40. Most of the stuff is dated 1942 onwards.

It may be easier to email me off-line, george.dfs1@virginmedia.com and I can send some pre-production shots of the master. We are also going to make the limbers for the guns.

So please email me at that address, and I can get back to you ASAP.

Thanks

George.