What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 PDR Drill Case

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Just recieved this drill case and would like to know why it has 2 dates? The first date 1945 has been cancelled and DRILL stamped underneath [6 o clock position] and 1944 stamped at the 2 o clock ,between is a cancelled CF ,so i take this to be a used case turned into a drill one?.Also like the Drill No 1 primer with 2 cancelled dates ,regards Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0635.JPG
    DSCF0635.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF0636.JPG
    DSCF0636.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 55
Now, have just had a better look and under the 5 is a 0 ,so its got 3 dates ,is this unusual in 25 PDR cases ?

The case was made in 1940, it would appear that the maker's mark has been all but destroyed destroyed by the drill hole at 3 o'clock

The case has been repaired - rectangle beneath drill hole at 3 o'clock.

The case has been condemned - circle and lines above the 9 of 1944

The case was converted to drill in 1943 (I make that a 3 not a 5)

The significance of BL and 1944, I don't know. However, most drill cases that I have seen are marked with company who converted the case.

A 'shot in the dark' is the case was condemned in '43 and earmarked for use as a drill case and subsequently converted by BL in 1944.

Rather poor workmanship as there are burrs present on the drill holes.

TimG.