What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 pdr id help 75mm projo

USARMYEOD

I would like some help Identifying this round. I believe it is a 25 PDR drill round manufactured in Sweden for a Ordnance QF 25 pounder.

Attachments

• IMG_0051_2.jpg
    IMG_0051_2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 132
Why do you think that? Sweden was not famous for manufacturing foreign developments.
Does it have a Bofors logo on?

Hi,

I don't think it is even a 25pdr projectile - it looks too "thin" to start with and from your base photo is ~77mm diameter (funny there a "77" stamped on the base!)

[Also a 25pdr is approx. around the 87-88mm diameter from memory]

Looks like it has been "rescued" from trench art - it appears to have been "chromed plated" and the two taped /threaded holes in the base are a dead give-a-way that it was once mounted on probably a wood stand.

For some reason it reminds me of a pre-ww1 QF projectile that I once had - sorry too long ago for the old memory cells! :tinysmile_angry_t:
Cheers
Drew

BTW - Since the 77mm was introduced into the German army around 1896, there is a possibility that the "02" could even be refering to "1902" - as for the other markings.....well if they are not German related, remember prior to WW1 there was actually quite a lot of trade between countries, including Britain and German (hell I got a 1904 Carl Zeiss military "rabbit ears" scissor scope that has the famous "Broad Arrow" stamped clearly on the base - sold to the Brits!) The 15pdr gun was another interesting trade item between these two as well.

Last edited:
Not 25 pounder.

Im with the others on this one as the driving band is too fine for a 25 pounder, the shape is that of a "common pointed" as in first world war issue and it "looks" like a French projectile as well as having a screwed in base plug.

Got it NOT 25 pdr

Thanks for the info, yes some jerk chromed it and mounted it to a wood base. I will post a few more photos. I very much enjoy learning from all of these post keep it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 30
A few things you should consider when posting photos. Photos at odd angles are hard to interpret and a scale thrown in doesn't help. Shoot a side view photo of the entire item with the camera perpendicular to the axis of the projo. If using a scale, start the scale 0 at the bottom of the projo. Take a photo of the base of the projo with the camera perpendicular to the base with the scale 0 starting at one edge of the base, so it shows the diameter of the base. Isometric photos are helpful for reference, but minimum help for identification.

It looks to me like a WW1 75mm shrapnel projectile that has been trencharted by having a 'point' turned for the nose. Driving band looks like those found on German contracts for Belgium or Turkey. There are rust marks either side of what would be the adapter ring at the nose.

BD

It looks to me like a WW1 75mm shrapnel projectile that has been trencharted by having a 'point' turned for the nose. Driving band looks like those found on German contracts for Belgium or Turkey. There are rust marks either side of what would be the adapter ring at the nose.

BD

I have the same opinion, it looks like Krupp exported or license built 75 mm shrapnell with home made nose...

[QUOTE = Dronic69; 159743] Hallo,

Ik denk niet dat het is zelfs een 25pdr projectiel - het ziet er te "dun" om te beginnen met en vanuit je basis foto ~ 77mm diameter (grappig dat er een "77" gedrukt op het onderstel!)

[Ook een 25pdr is ca. rond de 87-88mm diameter uit het geheugen]
87,6 mm om precies te zijn,de qf 25 pounder is door meerdere lansen gebruikt met [mischien] ook de productie
Looks like it is "gered" uit trench art - lijkt te zijn geweest "verchroomd verguld" en de twee getapete / schroefdraad gaten in de sokkel zijn een dode give-a-way dat zij ooit was gemonteerd op waarschijnlijk een houten standaard.

Om wat voor reden het doet me denken aan een pre-WO1 QF projectiel dat ik ooit had - sorry te lang geleden voor het oude geheugen cellen! :tinysmile_angry_t:
Proost
Drew

BTW - Sinds de 77mm werd gentroduceerd in het Duitse leger rond 1896, is er een mogelijkheid dat de "02" zelfs zou kunnen worden te verwijzen naar "1902" - als voor de andere merken ..... en als ze niet Duits verwant zijn, Vergeet niet voorafgaand aan de WO1 was er eigenlijk heel veel van de handel tussen landen, waaronder Groot-Brittanni en de Duitse (de hel Ik heb een 1904 Carl Zeiss militaire "konijnenoren" schaar reikwijdte die heeft de beroemde "Broad Arrow" duidelijk stempel op de basis - verkocht aan de Britten!) De 15pdr pistool was een ander interessant item handel tussen deze twee ook. [/ QUOTE]

OK, who's the funny bunny!!!

So I just spent 10mins "translating" my own quote back to English from Dutch.....I think there's some additional "input" missing????

Cheers
Drew