What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Pdr Projectile Group

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi All,

Thought that I would share these 3 projectiles that I have just restored with you all. They are fired 25 Pdr rounds found on WWII firing ranges in the Atherton Tablelands here in North Queensland.

From left to right they are BE Smoke, AP Tracer and HE Projectiles.

I have yet to find a sectioned fuze for the HE round. The HE round was actually a practice round and as it had a caved in lip from impact I decided to section out the damamged side.

The next part of my of my project is of course to find the correct PD fuse of a quality fit for sectioning. I hate the idea of cutting anything in too good a condition.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• IMGP2244.jpg
    IMGP2244.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP1969.jpg
    IMGP1969.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 109
Nice!

And very nice too Bougainville, I bet that shell body took a lot of effort to cut or did you have machining facilities available?
Thanks for showing us.

HI Robert,

Nice group of 25pdr prods! and nicely restored!

The stenciling is superb - did you hand paint or used letroset?

The inside thread of the HE looks damage and you may have to "retap" the thread - now this has just "jogged" my memory in that I had a special thread cleaning tool which did the job! I'll see if I can find it, but it may take awhile as it would be at my parents house and I don't get up there often - more than welcome to borrow it (will PM you)
Cheers
Drew

BTW - I'm also a little hesitant re cutting into a fuse, with my lack of skills, bad tools would probably need 20 fuzes to get it right!!! (LOL) Fortunately there are many more talent people out there, like Mr Fuse!

Last edited:
And very nice too Bougainville, I bet that shell body took a lot of effort to cut or did you have machining facilities available?
Thanks for showing us.

Hi Chris 42 RQ,

Just an angle grinder and a heap of cutting discs.

To get it nice and straight I marked out the lines using masking tape. I figured that that was easier than trying to draw them and it made it easy to lift the tape and readjust it so as to get it just right. The maskiing tape also was easy to see while cutting. I concentrated on a shallow straight cut first up and then gradually took it deeper.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

HI Robert,

Nice group of 25pdr prods! and nicely restored!

The stenciling is superb - did you hand paint or used letroset?

Hi Andrew,

The stenciling was neither. I generated the lettering on the computor while rigidly consulting the prescribed size, positioning etc as per WWII.

After printing it out I took to it with a Stanley knife to cut out a paper stencil.

Each line of stenciling was then cut out leaving a margin for taping to projectile body in the correct position. I then placed a sheet of newspaper over the whole projectile with a small window cut in the newspaper just big enough to reveal stencil.

I then gave the stencil a spray with a light sweeping motion with the spray can. I would start spraying on the newspaper to get the right amount of pressure (very light) before I swept across the stencil. If I'm not happy with it then out comes the terps and I then try again until I achieve the desired result.

Cheers,
Robert

Way to go !

Hi Chris 42 RQ,

Just an angle grinder and a heap of cutting discs.

To get it nice and straight I marked out the lines using masking tape. I figured that that was easier than trying to draw them and it made it easy to lift the tape and readjust it so as to get it just right. The maskiing tape also was easy to see while cutting. I concentrated on a shallow straight cut first up and then gradually took it deeper.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Thanks for that Bougainville, angle grinder works really well for that, I shall use one if ever I get the urge to section a round!