What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 pnd ammo box

Ronson

Hi, thanks for letting me join the group! I've got a C267 ammo box from 1943, but it seems that there's not much info about these boxes. They seem to pop up in Normandy and Holland, and believe to be 25 pd boxes? Attached the box.

Thanks in advance20230812_131035.jpg

There is a list of ammo boxes and their uses on this forum. The C prefix indicates it’s for a complete cartridge

Last edited:

There is a list of ammo boxes and their uses on this forum. The C prefix indicates it’s for a complete cartridge
and all the links appear broken.
the box size is more indicative of a fixed round

Half way, it's closed off, so would be 4 rounds on both sides. 76mm shell fit's like a glove and on both sides it would also have an airtight lid to close it of.

I've seen the list indeed, but link of the C267 doesn't work.

Attached another pic of the box

20230812_172835.jpg

Bit of an issue regarding the site update and the box section but bolos working on trying to rescue it.
For now i have located the following

Sweet! Seen the pic on "Canadianarmy.com" or so, but sofar no data with it!

Now I only wonder why they basicly only pop up in Normandy or Holland...

Thanks sofar!

Hi, thanks for letting me join the group! I've got a C267 ammo box from 1943, but it seems that there's not much info about these boxes. They seem to pop up in Normandy and Holland, and believe to be 25 pd boxes? Attached the box.

Thanks in advanceView attachment 190482
Not for 25PR, looks more like 6pr 7cwt rds...need to get dimensions! Has a latched countersunk lid:

25 Pdr ammunition was issued separately.. usually carts in a box of 6 and fuzed projectiles in a box of 4 held together in a "cruet".

A real PITA for the loggies.. you had to issue 25pdr in sets of 5 boxes.. 3 shell and 2 carts!

Larger artillery natures were issued loose. Shell was issued plugged with a rope grommet around the driving band. Charges came in cylindrical containers and fuzes in boxes of 8 each in a separate sealed can.

Not for 25PR, looks more like 6pr 7cwt rds...need to get dimensions! Has a latched countersunk lid:
Hi, attached the side of the box, with a 25pr case. I believe the 6pr came in a rectangular box with 6 rounds, stead 4?!

Attachments

• 20230812_165627.jpg
    20230812_165627.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 2
25 Pdr ammunition was issued separately.. usually carts in a box of 6 and fuzed projectiles in a box of 4 held together in a "cruet".

A real PITA for the loggies.. you had to issue 25pdr in sets of 5 boxes.. 3 shell and 2 carts!

Larger artillery natures were issued loose. Shell was issued plugged with a rope grommet around the driving band. Charges came in cylindrical containers and fuzes in boxes of 8 each in a separate sealed can.
25 pdr carts came in boxes of 8. Either the C206 with a single layer stood on their ends or the C267 as here with four stacks of two, end to end. Are you talking about more recent times?

Last edited:
It is for 25 pdr, there is a lid at each end to get to the two layers of four carts. The similar looking C2265 held four rounds of 6 pdr but with only one lid.

Hi, attached the side of the box, with a 25pr case. I believe the 6pr came in a rectangular box with 6 rounds, stead 4?!
The C265 held four rounds of 6 pdr and externally looks very similar to the C267. The 6 round boxes were the C264 and the C286.

Do you happen to know if these boxes where just used in the Canadian army or just for airborne groups or so? Attached a pic of the C264 on an airborne jeep. (picture from the web)

Attachments

• airborne conta.jpg
    airborne conta.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 8
I think the airtight boxes were in general use by everyone. I assume the reason that they are all rather rare now is that they were useless for anything else such as tool boxes etc and never really made it into civilian use.