What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Pounder dated 1944

Derek

I have just been offered this 25 pdr projectile, it is marked BR 6 44 378.
Can anybody tell me more about this item?
I want to refurbish it to display inside a shell case, there appears to be something missing from the fuze, correct?
What do I need?

Derek

Attachments

• 25pdr 44.jpg
    25pdr 44.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 25 pdr 1944.jpg
    25 pdr 1944.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 61
The obvious question is is it empty? Does the fuze remove or can you see from its base that it is an empty smoke round or similar .?
Cheers
Hangarman

I am informed by the seller that it is empty and just to be sure I have asked for more photos showing the insides and the fuze removed!!!
Cheers,
Derek

Derek, your photos show an oval hole to the left of the recess. If each of the time rings has such a hole then the fuze is probably expended. The fuze was designed so that as the low explosive composition in the time rings burned, gas pressure would blow out the plugs from those holes, to keep a consistant time of burning despite build-up of slag residues. The driving band appears to be engraved, so the shell is likely to have been fired. If the shell is expended then the main body should be empty. If the shell has been recovered from the sea then the main body may be filled with rust and sand / mud accretion. If the shell is a blind (unexpended) then the rear end will still have the base plug fitted and the blow out panels in the fuze time rings may also still be in place. The fuze looks like a No 221, a time combustion fuze and this (No 221) is also likely to be stamped on the fuze. It is missing its white metal nose fairing - that commonly corrodes to nothing or smashed off the fuze on impact. I hope this helps. Regards from Matthew.

Matthew, thanks for enlightening me. The seller has just sent another photo showing that the shell is filled with foam, however he also informs me that the fuze will not unscrew. Is there any way to tell what type of round this is? And are the white metal nose fairings easy to come by?
Thanks again for a very detailed reply, much appreciated.
Derek

Attachments

• 25pdrbase.JPG
    25pdrbase.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 47
Hello Derek, it looks like you have an expended smoke base ejection shell, otherwise known as a carrier shell. There will be an internal screw thread at the base, where the base plug was fitted, and possibly also a grub screw (or hole where one was) for firmer attachment of the base plate to the shell. It is not always possible to unscrew the fuze, unless you don't mind tapping the shell body with a hammer in one hand while applying pressure to unscrew the fuze with the other hand. Wearing a rubber faced glove for maximum grip would give you the best chance of unscrewing the fuze that way. Otherwise try heating the shell/fuze joint, maybe in combination with the way I've just suggested. If there is any luting (a thick, waterproofing substance) left on the fuze threads, then heat will soften it and make it act as a lubricant. Looking at the condition of the shell wall it is very pitted by corrosion, so it may be that water has got inside to the shell's internal threads and corroded them, to make them a very snug fit to the fuze. Just below the fuze there will also be a small grub screw in the shell wall, further holding the fuze in place but looking at the state of the shell I would think that where it meets the fuze it will just be rust touching against the fuze. I don't know how easy it would be to obtain a nose fairing. I have found possibly 100 25 Pr Smk BE shells (all fired) and none of them had an intact fairing, just a few mm left above the top time ring. It may be that if you can find a drawing of the fuze (I am sure there must be one somewhere on this site) you may be able to have an approximate copy made. If you do acquire the shell I would recommend removing the foam, so that anyone who looks can see that the shell is definitely empty, therefore safe and hopefully not worth seizing from you. I hope this helps, best wishes from Matthew.

Matthew, thanks for taking the time to reply and for your very interesting information.
Best regards,
Derek