What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Pr ID

flak18

Hi All
Can anyone identify these manufacturers of 25 Pr cases for me.
CL/C..and DB/C...and EWB. All taken from 1942 25 Pr cases.

Also, I have a 25 Pr AP shot projectile that has a very long tracer cavity...about 140mm.The cavity is closed by a brass plug marked..P something M and then /40 FIPDIAN then the broad arrow. Can anyone throw any light on this for me please?:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

CL/C is the Canadian Motor Lamp Co., Windsor, Ontario.

I believe EWB is E.W. Bliss and Co., during WW1 they were located in Brooklyn, New York, but I am not sure about WW2. Sorry I can't help you on DB/C.

Flak,

CL/C - As stated is the Canadian Motor Lamp Co. I seem to recall a TAL for the 25 pdr stating cases made by them were no longer to be used.

EWB - As stated Is E.W. Bliss, Derby. UK (I actually have them listed as a shell maker not a case maker)

DB/C - Dominion Bridge Company, Canada

FIPDIAN - should read FIDDIAN which was J. Barwell Ltd, Birmingham. UK.

Regards

Tim. G.

Doctor,

Have you an image of the headstamp you could post? Having checked another publication I appear to have possibly conflicting information as to where it was made.

Thanks

Tim. G

Last edited:
makers

EWB I've got stamping 'EWB & Co' as EW Bliss of Brooklyn noted for torpedo and projectile manufacture in WW1. Quick check on the old net and EWB also had a place in Derby which did munitions in WW2. The company were well known as a major maker of power presses like what would be required to press big cartridge cases. The questions that need answering is what are the actual stampings ie are there two different ones, one for each factory and if so which is which or did only one place make cases? Any one else add to this saga?
2pr

2pr,

EW Bliss were probably one of the first multi-national companies. During the Great War they had UK premises in Pocock Street, Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 and at some time prior to WWII had moved to Derby. Prior to the war they were engaged in sheet metal stamping, automatic cannister and tin box making machinery as well as drop forging. Their war work is listed as dies for rectifying 18pr cases, metal stamping etc. So the UK factory certainly had the capability. However, their is no mention of them in the contracts for 1916. A publication of the time shows EWB as being "EW Bliss USA" but you could interpret this as EW Bliss of the USA, it being a US company or EW Bliss in the USA. To complicate matters more; EW Bliss had a subsiduary company called "U.S. Projectile Company" which was responsible for the production of shot and shell. So one would think ordnance made by them would be marked as such.

Hopefully the headstamp of the 18pr might make matters a little clearer.

Regards

Tim. G.

Hello to you all
Thank you all for the info ref manufacturers ID. You have solved some little mysteries that I have had for quite a while. Amazing the amount of info that is lurking out there...Keep up the good work.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Here the stamping EWBC on 18Pr case annealed and sclereoscoped

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 51
I also have the E.W.B.Co. headstamp on a WW1 18 Punder case. It is very similar to the one shown in the photo in Doctor's post.

I don't think my case was ever loaded. It has none of the stamps added afterwards like doctor's one, only the stamps added at the manufacturer's

Ewb

TimG,

It appears there are 3 types of stamp if I've got the above posts right ie

EWB by itself on 25pr case, EWBC on 18pr case, EWB&Co also on 18pr case, the plot thickens.
Bliss are still in existance even if somewhat amalgamated so I will try and contact them to see if they have an archivest who can help, some companies do have old employees interested in the past.