What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25x137 projectile with nylon driving band

cornman

Hi,
I have this 25x137 projectile. It is painted blue, so that would indicate target practice, but I don`t really know if the blue colour is original. It also has a tracer cavity in the bottom and the nose end is threaded to receive a (dummy?) fuze. Most interesting is that is has a nylon driving band. The band is broken, so I removed one half to proof that it is original. The half part can be placed back easily to make it complete again.
I have never seen such a projectile and have no documentation about a 25x137 with nylon driving band, so who has some documentation on this one? Everything is welcome; origin, type, etc.

Regards, Cornman

Attachments

• DSC04409.jpg
    DSC04409.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04411.jpg
    DSC04411.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04410.jpg
    DSC04410.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 58
Nobody seen such a 25mm projectile before? If someone has a picture, drawing or any info about this projectile or the use of nylon drving bands on 25x137 rounds, please let me know.

Regards, Cornman

Had a look through my Janes Ammo and nothing at all at this calibre. Closest I can find with a wide nylon band is a Gau7 cartridge, but the rest of the cartridge is wrong.
Two members that might be able to help are Dave Birkin (SG500) and Tony Williams - not sure his user name but his website is here http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/

Andrew

I cannot help thinking that the "driving" band is a little crude as it appears to have no front end "lead in" to assist chambering without damage to the band and the fact that the band has been split nay suggest it is an "experimental" item researching which plastic to use and or how well it is stuck in situ.
Following that it would presumably have been machined in situ which appears to have been missed out ?
The paint looks like an addition as an afterthought.

Many countries now make rounds with plastic driving bands and being 25mm calibre narrows it down slightly but not enough to be sure.
Possibly a 25 mm version experimental round from the early GAU 8 trials which used 25 mm Projectiles, I have looked through as many threads as I can and not found the shot/shell I have in mind-I cannot recall whether the American projectiles had a crimping groove for the case or not-I think it was a PJU16B which was 25 mm calibre and would be about the right shape and size with a very similarly sized plastic driving band'

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. Doesn`t clear up the mystery yet, but the thought of an experimental projectile could be the case.
Concerning the front end "lead in" , I have two types of APFSDS-T rounds which don`t have a "lead in" as well. So even on these rounds it appears to be common and
won`t give problems in the barrel.
I held the `mystery` projectile next to a normal 25mm TP projectile made by te former EMZ (Eurometaal Zaandam) factory. Beside from the tracer and the plastic driving band, this round is very much similar with the ordinary TP projectile, so maybe it is a experimental from EMZ.

Cheers, Cornman

well it certainly is an "odd one" and a nice addition to your collection I have no doubt.
Interesting to note your comments that none of your similar rounds have any "lead" ins either, sounds like a jam waiting to happen even on a big heavy breeched weapon.

Was the band already split when you acquired the projectile ?
If so then I would expect it was taken apart to check the band has been injected with sufficient pressure to fill any air pockets or gaps anywhere.
Thanks for showing us.
Best regards

Hi Chris,
yes the band was already split when I got it. It was not cut, but it was torn/ broken so that could indicate indeed that it was used for testing the band like you said.It was glued back with some black substance, thats why I could remove one half easily.
I will ask Dutch collectors if they can confirm this projectile is an EMZ production.

Regards, Cornman