What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

28/20 case query

SG500

Premium Member
With the exception of a letter "A" this 28/20 case has no headstamp.
I don't know if the primer goes with the case, it was with it when I got it but it does unscrew so may not be original to the case.
Can anyone give me any information about this case? Does the "A" signify anything?
Is this some sort of development case or were some of the service cases simply made this way?
Thanks.
Dave.

IMG_7427.jpgIMG_7430.jpg

I have several German cases, including 2 different experimentals, and I have never seen this stamp. Typically the bottom is flat, here I see mechanical marks reminding me of American cases like the 37 mm cases. I do know the US had 28/20 experiments as well, with the same case dimensions. Could it be US?

I have several German cases, including 2 different experimentals, and I have never seen this stamp. Typically the bottom is flat, here I see mechanical marks reminding me of American cases like the 37 mm cases. I do know the US had 28/20 experiments as well, with the same case dimensions. Could it be US?

Thanks, that would make me very happy if it was an American one. Does anyone else know about this case?

Dave.

An american experimental case threaded for a german primer? I think it is a normal german case with the base turned down. The roughness of the turning work and the fact that it was done without automatic cross-feed does not indicate industrial work. You can compare the thickness of your case against an other one (I guess you have some more 28-20-cases to measure :) )

Aren't all German screw in primers of the 'blind cap' variety?

TimG

An american experimental case threaded for a german primer? I think it is a normal german case with the base turned down. The roughness of the turning work and the fact that it was done without automatic cross-feed does not indicate industrial work. You can compare the thickness of your case against an other one (I guess you have some more 28-20-cases to measure :) )

Hi its not been turned down I don't think.
I have measured the rim thicknesses from left to right:
2.88mm
3.04mm
2.89mm
2.90mm
3.02mm (they case in question)

Tim I include a close up of the brass primer next to the type in the remainder of the rounds. Again, I don't know if the primer goes with this case as it can be removed. I'm not a primer expert, what's it for if not this?

Thanks.

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_7468.jpg
    IMG_7468.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7469.jpg
    IMG_7469.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7470.jpg
    IMG_7470.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 32