What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2pdr case cleaning dilemma!

Gunnerop

Hello all,

I would appreciate some advice concerning preparation of 2pdr cases for use in my Daimler armoured car. I have just over sixty cases to prep for display in the stowage of the vehicle. Although only the arse end of each case is seen (only the last 5-6" is visible protruding from the stowage racks) I would like them to look similar in terms of condition. I should emphasise that I intend to harmonise them rather than have them all gleaming and have the inside of the vehicle looking like some crazy church organ by overcleaning them. I realise that this is not something that collectors usually like to hear, but I am trying to do this as sympathetically as possible, whilst attempting to have a 1944 in service look. Clearly some sort of batch cleaning method will be required given the numbers involved!

The condition of the cases varies from almost black to good. Several have retained the remnants of filling and batch numbers etc on the sides as well as the stencilled identification on the base of the case, and obviously I will try to retain this at all costs.

How clean is a fresh out of the box case for instance? Most wartime pictures seem to indicate quite a dull almost tarnished finish .

All suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Paul

PS about 33% have the projectiles, the rest are excellent resin copies I have had made. The casting even picked up machining marks and very light stampings. When painted they are indistinguishable...at least until you pick them up that is!

As far as the cases with stencil markings are concerned they are best left alone as any cleaning of the brass will remove all the markings.

If you had some pictures it might be easier for members to consider your problem. Try and include the racks with a case in position please.

PC

Try cleaning the racks & cases & then buff up with a rag with dubbin or gun oil on it.
The interior of any AFV would be kept fairly clean & add the effects of gun oil/engine oil & detritus a clean but not bulled up appearance would probably look best/more authentic (the smell will also blend in).
I agree with SielGr, removing any of the stencilling would be a shame.
Tarnishing/staining of cases is common, so habving them all idnetical/similar in this would be unrealistic as well as impractical.
keep it simple.
Would like pics!!

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some photos up of the bins and cases in the next few days. I'll have to give up the day job it interferes too much with the enjoyable stuff.

Cheers

Paul

You have sixty long 2 pounder cases? No wonder I don't seem to see many for sale.

Would like to see photos of the inside of the armoured car once the cases are done.

Yes 52 in the vehicle and a few spares for an ammo box project (when I find a C207 that is!) Let's just say it's been a work in progress..It's taken a few years to get them all together. Prices have become a little extreme in the last couple of years too.

I know of several other vehicle owners who have been hoovering them up as well. That is the unfortunate crossover for the different collecting spheres. Radio hams complain about vehicle owners pushing up the prices of Wireless Set 19 parts and accessories, but then they are supposed to be in a tank and not a garden shed or bedroom!!

Cheers

Paul

Perhaps that explains why the cases are not often seen if the vehicle enthusiasts buy them.

Funnily enough my dad was a Radio ham before I was born. I remember him saying that he used to have a No. 19 set.

Last edited: