What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2x Russian ww1 3.7 Naval rounds

kradman

Here are 2x Russian ww1 Navy rounds , not really my field of interest would like to know what they are worth , thank you for any help

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 73
Kradman,

Nice specimens of Russian 3.7cm Naval cartridges.

Is there any chance you could photograph and post here the projectile(s) alone showing the markings on the side, the bottom of the second projectile and the second cartridge case base markings.

I ask because we do not see these very often in the U.S.

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Hello,

Someting new ?

Is it a Practice or AP round ? Mabe the solution is in the cyrillic marking.

Regards.

"Soviet Cannon" by Christian Koll describes only solid AP-shells in Russian use. I think the same were used for practice, when needed.

Kradman, could you measure the case base thread diameter? It is interesting as in Russian cases they only used small crimped-in primers. It could be a Finnish post WW1 modification if primer size is suitable. If such, it is not common.

These are not a rare type, they turn up in the U.S. , Japan and all over Europe. What is different are the markings
between the bands. They also appear to have been plated at one time - there is something silvery that is worn partially off, Nickle ?
I would think that 120 pounds each would be excessive in this case.

"Soviet Cannon" by Christian Koll describes only solid AP-shells in Russian use. I think the same were used for practice, when needed.

Kradman, could you measure the case base thread diameter? It is interesting as in Russian cases they only used small crimped-in primers. It could be a Finnish post WW1 modification if primer size is suitable. If such, it is not common.

I would have thought the case has been screwed to a base at some point in the past as a piece of trench art rather than this being a screw in primer. It would just be too small IMHO.

D