What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5in rocket shaped charge HELP please

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
does anyone have a shaped charge cone from a 3.5in rocket they could post a photo of please,im asking because i have a copper cone from a range we have been finding 3.5in rockets on and would like to confirm what it is from,also the large copper slug shown next to it is it possible this have been from the same type.
thanks for looking
allan

Please note it is slightly out of shape as it was squashed on one side when found,so i cut away the squashed side and reshaped as best as i could

Attachments

• shaped charge 3.5 in rocket.jpg
    shaped charge 3.5 in rocket.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 67
  • shaped charge copper slug.jpg
    shaped charge copper slug.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Best I can do at the moment. The submunition was given to me by one of the design team from the 3.5-in, a gentleman who was one of the main shaped charge people in the US in the 50s and 60s named Don Kennedy. After the 3.5 they were given the task of designing a cluster bomb, using the same cone and warhead geometry. He swore to me that this was a 3.5 cone, so the dimensions should be good for your purposes.

These are some of my 3.5 slugs from the collection, came from a clean-up of a range at Ft. Sill, OK called Rocket Pond. We hauled thousands of 3.5 practice out of there, blew many live items and took out hundreds of pounds of copper in 3.5 slugs.

Better with photos.

Attachments

• Unknown 1b.jpg
    Unknown 1b.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0102.jpg
    DSC_0102.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 33
Morning US-subs thanks for the info and images,ive just measured the slug and its approx the same length and size of the ones you have shown ,so i think the next step is get them mounted together on a board
many thanks for your help
allan

Two types of Practice HE Sub

One of the interesting things about the 3.5 Rocket was that one type of the practice (2 versions I believe) (HE sub) rounds had the correct copper liner inserted into it which was filled with an inert wax to be representative of the actual round whereas the other type of Practice round has a much heavier cast iron body, but both were fitted with the same nose cap that was secured by either 4 of 6 small countersunk screws.
Needless to say these did not hang around the ranges for very long!:tinysmile_cry_t:

I disposed of my two before the digi camera era so have no pictures:tinysmile_cry_t3:

Unfortunately I cannot locate a dimensioned drawing of the M28 version of the 3.5 inch HEAT, but I do have one of the cone in the M35 HEAT. I cannot say that they used the same cone in the M28 though at this point. Shouldn't be all that different though. Have several drawings of the M28, but none have cone dimensions. The M29, M29A2 and M36 practice 3.5 inch rounds did not have a cone liner in them according to my drawings. Can't comment on any other versions without some research. Sure looks like you have a 3.5 inch cone though.

Attachments

• 3.5 inch M35 cone.jpg
    3.5 inch M35 cone.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
Here is a shot from the fuze end. Note the round vs pointy peak of the cone. This is from an M28A2.

Attachments

• bazooka fuze thread 002 (Small).jpg
    bazooka fuze thread 002 (Small).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 23
  • rockets.jpg
    rockets.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 37
  • rockets 001.jpg
    rockets 001.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 33
  • rockets 002.jpg
    rockets 002.jpg