What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7cm Flak Projectile - Trench Art?

hicky1300

Found this whist sorting out bits & bobs!
Fairly sure it is a WWII German 3.7cm Flak projectile.
Very good unfired condition but very few markings.
On the body just above the upper drive band is a `V` with either an `I` or `1`.
On the fuze is only an `R` in a square.
On the base are what appear to be a circle with unable to make out inner & another in-decipherable stamping.
I recall `aquiring` this in the mid 80`s whilst at Bruggen/Bracht.
I was told this was a `bribe` hence the reason no Fuze type/date on fuze or other markings on the body.
Apparently - so I was told - manufacturers would try to win war effort contracts with gifts to the visiting ministry inspector?!
Given the high quality of the workmanship on this item I can understand that this may be a feasible explanation.
Other projectiles I have in my small 3.7 collection have more markings on the body & fuze.
I aim to install a flint & put in some lighter fluid to see if it works!
As I have quit smoking though & `trench art` is not my thing though will be looking to find it a new home!
3.7 lighter 2.jpg3.7 lighter 1.jpg3.7 lighter 3.jpg

Hi Mr. T,

It is indeed for the Flak18 and the 3,7 cm Marine Flak. A total of 3 options:

1) Brand-Spreng Geschoss Zerl. L'Spur (should be marked "Br" above driving band)
2) Sprenggeschoss 18 Ub. L'Spur (should be marked "Bl" above driving band and an arrow just below the fuze)
3) Sprenggeschoss 18 Ub. (should be marked "Bl" above driving band and an arrow just below the fuze)

Source: Flak Patronen und Geschosse by Wim de Hek

Hi Kornel
Cheers for that but as I said definitely a V above driving band with a 1 or poss I.
So the fact this marking does not tally with any other known ones may indeed point to it being a one off/non production use one ?
Managed to get it to work today!

Can you get the markings on a picture? That would help a lot. I have no reason to believe it is something "special".

As good a pic as I can do I`m afraid. It`s either a V or Roman 5 - but certainly not a B. I htink the only thing that could be deemed `special` about this is if the story is true.3.7 markings.jpg

Because of odd markings this may be quite an early shell. I have had some very early 3,7 cm Pzgr's bearing only a few and quite odd markings - no codes, no WaA's, no year.