What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7cm Pak AP

StielGr

One of my new projectiles and a big thank you to Waff for all his help. Cheers for acting as the go between at Beltring and passing in on so it arrived with me safely.

This is a 3.7cm pzgr "type C"
There are two different projectiles which are marked on the drive band and with a stenciled letter on the body. The other is a "type A"

Type C
This has a mild steel body and a very hard tip is friction welded to the soft body. It is a 2 part projectile.

Type A
These are made solid from nickelfree steel and case hardened

The marking 33 is for the explosive PETN + 15% wax.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
No worries SG,its a pleasure to help fellow members and friends.
I must say i was busting to have a peek inside the packet but i was a good boy and didnt.
Very nice rounds,will you be replacing the primer that looks a little chewed?

W

Thanks for the info with regards to the stampings on the driving band...I now know that my 3.7 PaK A/P round has the type "C" projectile.

This is the other shell that I received. Unfortunately the projectile has been repainted.

The case for this shell is interesting as it has the electrical C/23 for the KwK tank gun. I would hazard an semi-educated guess and say from the condition it is original.

As for the primer on the first shell Waff. It looks like someone already has had trouble trying to remove it so it is likely I will just leave it in.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 32
Its not a bad repaint at all in my opinion old chap. :)
Looking well in fact. I reckon a good score on both there SG.

W

Its not a bad repaint at all in my opinion old chap. :)

If it was just the plain black paint it wouldn't have been so bad. It is the totally fictitious stencil writing that gets to me.

In red it is marked "3.7cm vkz.L'spur" This marking is all wrong for the projectile.

Thank you for the support Waff but I think it will have to come off unless someone is interested in it the way it is.

PC

Hi:
These are mine. What can you tell me about the third one? A prewar shell?

Attachments

• PAK 1.jpg
    PAK 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PAK 2.jpg
    PAK 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27
  • PAK 3.jpg
    PAK 3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 36
I like your second shell with the very nice red stencil markings still present. Even the "33" is still marked which you don't often see.

A lot of the projectiles are prewar and the same for the cases but they where reused, a lot.
It is hard to tell with your 3rd projectile. Does it have any waffenamt markings?
Some projectiles also have markings around the rim of the base.