What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3,7inch. AA.

poltewerke

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Can members help with any info. re. the two 1950's case types: 3in. N1 gun, brass case - marked: ''TESTING'', and the 3,7in. steel case, lacquered, olive green in colour. Here's hoping. Regards, RonB.

Attachments

• 3in. plus h.s. 013.jpg
    3in. plus h.s. 013.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 3in. plus h.s. 025.jpg
    3in. plus h.s. 025.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 74
Can't help you with the id on these Ron but I really like them. Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Interesting cases there, I didn't know they made the 3.7 this late. I never thought the British military ever used any steel artillery cases.

Last edited:
Hi Falcon
My father has a laquered steel 2 pounder case from WW2 from his time in Burma with the Navy - as yet he has not let me add it to my collection!!

Interesting cases there, I didn't know they made the 3.7 this late. I never thought the British military ever used any steel artillery cases.
Yes the 3.7in. was on its last legs by 1954-55. This case would be for trial only. l have a drawing somewhere of a steel case in 25 Pdr. calibre, dated: about 1938?. Hicky1300, that 2 Pdr. sounds very nice indeed and would love to see photo of case profile and headstamp ask your Dad if you can take some pics. Regards, Ron.

Last edited:
Can members help with any info. re. the two 1950's case types: 3in. N1 gun, brass case - marked: ''TESTING'', and the 3,7in. steel case, lacquered, olive green in colour. Here's hoping. Regards, RonB.

Ron, I looked up the Parent Numbers (1099 and 873) for these cases and the decodes (which you already knew I think) read

Cartridge, QF, 3.7inch Mks 1 to 3 Guns, Case, empty and

Cartridge, QF, 3inch 70 Cals, Case, empty

There does not seem to be any projectile associated with these parent numbers.

Not a great deal of use I suspect.

Cases.

I have an A/S case which is marked Testing as per yours Ron. It has its primer fitted which has a stud on the inside with a nut,perhaps an armourers tool cartridge for testing the electric primer circuit? By the way Falcon the 3 inch N1 round i have has a steel case which was the norm, the brass cases are harder to find,well ive never seen one for sale.Tony.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t