What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3"How shell

pzgr40

Premium Member
Today I bought this interesting cartridge. The shellcase is 133mm long and has the following base stamp, starting at 12 o clock and reading clockwise. :
3 HOW I , RLB, ICE, 1942, broad arrow, LOT 44.

Who can help me on a cutaway drawing of this shell, depicting the inner works of the projectile and the shellcase (powdercharge).
What tank was it ised in?

Thanks in advance ,
Regards, D.J. Harms

Attachments

• 20221106_192052.jpg
    20221106_192052.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 91
The 3" howitzer was fitted in several early British tanks as a close support version. Churchill I and II, Matilda, A13 etc etc. A very nice find!

I could be wrong, but I think thats a 3in 20cwt projectile, and not the 3in How.
The 3in How has a narrower drive band and is slightly shorter in overall length…. Im afraid i don’t have a drawing.
Rich

Last edited:
Thanks for the awnsers.
What's the chance of obtaining the correct projectile. Or Are they rare as hens teeth?

My understanding is that they make Hen’s teeth look relatively plentiful.

At least you shouldn’t have much difficulty finding a 3in 20cwt case for your projectile.

Yeah, no problem. I bought this complete 3 inch 20cwt shell for the projectile of which I thought also was used on the 3 inch how.