What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-Inch Canister Projectile

EODGUY

An early US smoothbore canister projectile. The almost identical design dates back to the Civil War Federal Sawyer which reportedly had iron balls. The projectile would break apart during bore travel freeing the balls. This post-Civil War loading has lead balls about 5/8 inch in diameter. The nose end is sheet metal, embossed with "32 Canister Frankford", for Frankford Arsenal. The base has three holes to allow gas pressure to help in pushing the balls forward. Because of the fragile nature of the projectile body, not many have survived.

Attachments

• Canister.jpg
    Canister.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Canister 2.jpg
    Canister 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 59
  • Canister base.jpg
    Canister base.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 43
  • Canister ball.jpg
    Canister ball.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 38
That is very nice indeed

Fragile is the word and must be why they changed to the tin can body without any cuts

It makes perfect sense that the projectile is for the 3.2-inch, but there is no evidence of a decimal point visible. Given that the diameter is slightly more than 3 inches I agree that it should be a 3.2 inch. Sorry for the misnomer!

No problem Bob. I have 2 of the things and that was what I was told when I got my first one.

Hello Bob,

I suspect you've seen this before, but here is a little information regarding the 3.2-inch canister round. Sorry for the poor quality photograph

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for the information. Actually I had do not remember seeing that before, although I am pretty sure I have the book. Bob